Tools
Reply To This Topic

454 exhaust heat shield
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
I am about to send a $25 donation to our esteemed moderator so Bill out in California will send me prints so I can have the heat shield made to prevent overheating of plug wires etc on the right side of my Barth. But I have a question first. I have Thorley headers on my 454. Will the shield fit/work? According to the son-in-law, aka jet pilot/mechanic extraordinaire, I do not have a heat shield on either side of the engine but I thought that all 454's had them on the left???
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Or... for the 25.00 you could get the all new 2009 Barthmobile.com CD and you'll get the Heat Shield mod too. Wink

Another thought... You can also wait to see what... "the next thing that's coming down the pike". You might be sorry if you pull the trigger too soon. Computer

Release date of 2/13/09.

Unscramble the letters (ABBDEEEGHHIINNRRRRSTT)

1st hint: Plural

Decisions, decisions... Big Grin

This is what they call "The Art of Building Anticipation"... I hope it lives up to the hype!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I CANT STAND IT I CANT STAND IT I CANT STAND IT AHHGGHH!!!!!!

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I have a question first. I have Thorley headers on my 454. Will the shield fit/work?

Yes.

quote:
According to the son-in-law, aka jet pilot/mechanic extraordinaire, I do not have a heat shield on either side of the engine but I thought that all 454's had them on the left???
Jim

GM calls them splash shields. They certainly serve that function, as well as air flow management. They serve no function as a heat shield.

The GM literature would seem to indicate that the left side splash shield was on MHs, with the right one added later. Not for splash shielding, but for air flow management.

Are you sure the SIL knows exactly what he is looking for?

The only reason I could guess for the removal of the left one would be easier access to the left side of the engine or master cylinder. I unbolt the rear of mine and wire it out of the way when bleeding/replacing my brake fluid, but some folks completely remove it. Post a picture here and perhaps we can shed some light.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
"The only reason I could guess for the removal of the left one would be easier access to the left side".......

Don't under-estimate previous work of unprofessional mechanics. When I first got my coach, I let a local unknown shop R&R the Hydroboost. Weeks later I noticed that they must have had trouble with the rear bolts of the shield 'cause they simply torched the shield in half vertically and then patched-on a sheet metal splice with a couple of pop rivets Mad

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I've received 1 email and 2 PMs requesting that I update this thread.
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Unscramble the letters (ABBDEEEGHHIINNRRRRSTT)

1st hint: Plural
(**BDEEEG*HIINN*RRRS*T)

2nd Hint: > BARTH is the first word <

3rd Hint: 4 words total

Just 2 days left... Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
We're waiting with 'baited breath'. Tere stayed up all night trying to figure it out. Last seen running down the street screaming 'I can't take it anymore'!!!

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
We're waiting with 'baited breath'.
I wanted to announce this when I had the product "on hand". I was told that my product was shipped on Monday but I have yet to receive it. Please be patient while I await delivery of said product.

I will however give you more hints... Big Grin I promise that no matter what, I will tell you no later than today.

4th hint: Second word is actually a number.

5th hint: The last word starts the same as the first word starts. It's also happens to be the first letter of the available letters that are left.

6th hint: The last letter, of the last word, ends in a "typical" plural fashion. (re: first hint)

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Without further teasing, and in the interest of not making anyone lose their mind. I give you...

(ABBDEEEGHHIINNRRRRSTT)

BARTH THREE RING BINDERS

BARTH THREE RING BINDERS Follow link for discount pricing on binders and CDs.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis