Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hinge Replacement for Overhead Bin
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted
One of the hinges was broken when I bought our Stagecoach and I just found an exact replacement for it. Well, almost exact. The original part was made by a company called Grass and they were made in Austria. If this were an SOB the part probably would have been made in China. I finally got the original hinge out of the overhead storage and took it to Lowes in hopes they had something that would work until I could find a suitable replacement.

I found one made by a company called Belwith FKI Hardware Group that appeared to be a very close match. Upon further inspection, not only did I find it to be the correct style and shape but noticed the Grass logo on the hinge. Belwith apparently bought them out and is still using the original stamp to make the hinge.

I installed it when I got home and, as expected, it was a perfect fit. This one appears to be stronger since it isn't made out of pot metal. The part # appears to be P5129-14 and it is still made in Austria. The Lowes store code is 78555 73496.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I have to report I was wrong concerning the replacement hinge. Although the hinge I found appeared to be identical, it wasn't. There are adjustments on the hinge to correct positioning but it doesn't allow for enough vertical movement. This results in being unable to close the storage bin.

Tomorrow I will check with some local cabinet makers and see if they have them or know where I can get them. I checked online with the Belwith but they did not list this hinge, it showed up as discontinued. Lowes did not have any closer matches.

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Bill, if you post a picture, maybe one of us can do an ID. I think ours are Blum, aus Deutschland. Same as I put in our stick house kitchen.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, I'll see if I can get some pictures tomorrow. the original hinge is a Glass Model 830 with a Model 830-19 base plate. The model 830 has apparently been discontinued according to the sites I've visited so far.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Try cabinetparts.com at 1717 S.W. 1st Way, Suite 141, Deerfield Beach, FL phone 953-428-3800. fax 954-428-2581 - description- GRASS TEC-8300 1-1/2 WRAP 830-40. I think that's just the bracket that mounts on the cabinet frame, which is the part that breaks.

This info was current 2 years ago. I bought five of them then, used 'em all.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks olroy. I called cabinetparts.com this morning and they said you got the last five (ha!). They have been out of these for about two years and they were discontinued before that. I will contact Grass directly and see if they can replace it; I'll mail them the broken pieces if necessary. For anyone wanting to do this, it takes 4-6 weeks, if they can replace them. For an extra $30 they will ship via UPS 2nd Day Air.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I might have 2/3 of these... can you post a picture?

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
Here is the picture of the hinge you asked for.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Nope, not what I have... That's odd because mine's a 91 and I wouldn't think it would have changed that much.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks anyway. In the meantime, I pulled the hinges off of the bedroom cupboards to see if the new style hinge will work on them. I'll try one cupboard and, if it works, I'll do both. It will lower them about a 1/2". The only problem will be the struts might not allow the cupboard to close. If this doesn't work, I'll try mailing the broken hinge to Glass and see if they can actually replace it. If that doesn't work, I'll back up five yards and punt!

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill...

Did you ever find a GRASS [830-19] replacement or did you have to rig something else to work in it's place???

I noticed this weekend that one of my hinges [larger front cabinets] had a stress-crack in it ...sure enough, within 12 hours, the hinge failed completly.

Looking-for a resolve to this situation. Started an on-line search and your post came-up in the GOOGLE search.

Any help would be GREAT!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Robin, I just ordered some Blum hinges with an Inch and 9/16 overlay from woodworkers supply. I only ordered 4 to see if they are a good replacement. As soon as they come in and I try them I will post here so we will know.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
I have not yet measured the overlay, as this is all new terminology to me.

It's the wrap plate which has "fractured", not the actual "hinge".

The Wrap Plate measures at 3/4 inch and is denoted by the number 19 [thus 830-19].

I will wait to hear what your results are and possibly swap hinges with one of the rear cabinets ...not currently at home, so I'm not even certain they are the same thru-out the coach.

...the things we take for granted...

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I had several bad overhead "Grass,"hinges on our Barth, & found direct replacements for them on the internet, though I no longer have a record of where.

I just did a Google search for "Grass hinges," & came up with "1-10 of about 1,100,000 listings." There ought to be at least one of those listings than can supply a direct replacement for you.

I also had a problem with some spring-loaded hinges on the overheads in the galley. I found them at our local RV supply.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Thanks Olroy...

I am going to check with My local RV dealer tomorrow and maybe a few others in the area. There is always the possibility that someone still has a few of these GRASS 830-19 still on the shelf somewhere or they know-of the "special place" to get a few.

I looked-thru several of the Internet Sites you have referred-to only to find-out that this exact part is no longer made. I am still attempting to determine what a replacement part would be for this particular model.

Fortunately, the 20 hinges thru-out the coach are the same and the other 19 look fine. If I find a source, I will purchase what I can for what appears to be less-than $5 each.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2