Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

My new LCD TV is installed
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted
My Barth still had the original 15" TV in the front. If I wanted to add a Home theater and a DVD player, it had to go. Also, I was tired of banging my head when entering the coach.
Here's a picture of the original setup.

Removing it was the easy part. Once removed, I had a big hole to fill.

Fortunately, the Barth engineers had the excellent idea of building a frame made of 1"X2" welded steel in the overhead compartment. I will use that to attach the new TV.

On that steel frame I bolted a wooden U-shaped plywood. This will be the base for the wooden bracket I built.

I built the bracket out of 3/4" plywood and assembled all the components with plate biscuits similar to the two shown on the base of the bracket.

Since I knew I didn't need to have the TV swing around, I purchased a small mounting bracket that tilts up and down, and side to side only. That makes for a sturdier mount. Here's a picture of the wall part of the fixture attached to the bracket I built. The other half of the fixture is attached to the TV.

Once the TV was installed, I then built the woodworking around it. The trims are made from Birch and stained with Min-Wax Pecan stain. That was the closest I could find to match the existing cabinets. Here's what the TV looks like from the front.

And here's what the TV looks like from the side. Notice that I had to fill the underside of the cabinet where the old TV was.

The design proved to be sturdy on the road, with no movement of the TV.

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
That's what I call a sanitary installation. Lookin' good Raymag.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Good job, two thumbs up!

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
What size is the new TV?

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
It's the Sanyo 20" HDTV, Model AVL-209

The dimensions of that set were perfect for the hole that the old TV left behind

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
Front Entrance

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
A perfect example of a great installation job combined with a textbook photo post, Thanks!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Real,

Very nice, it looks like it was always there. Do you have a sattelite dish set-up?

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
Yes Bill, my Breakaway has a satellite dish on the roof. I haven't tried it yet since it's an american setup ( dish Network or Direct TV). Since I'm in Canada , I will have to figure out how I'm going to make this work.

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
Front Entrance

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Go to your nearest flea market and get a black market card and it should work...know of local guys who watch local Nova Scotia signals in Florida

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
Very nice, and very profesional! How many hours did this project take?

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of nuevomex
posted Hide Post
We have had the Motosat/Data Storm dish on top now for about five years, works only when stationary, but does both internet and TV from anywhere, even 1000 miles south in Mexico. See pic attached.

Posts: 14 | Location: London, UK and Abiquiu, New Mexico | Member Since: 03-04-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post