Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
quote:
We don't go out colder than the teens, so cheap vodka works for us. Smiler

Bill, Life is too short to drink cheap booze Smiler

Nick

Quite right, but we don't drink it. We pour it in the tank to freshen the water and make it less likely to freeze. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Post-mortem: The mod worked like a charm (except for the night that, for some stupid reason, I turned off the FW pump; fortunately, the next day thawed). -9F was no problem.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cold. How cold did it get inside?

How many watts did it take to keep warm?

Just curious how a Mister Heater Big Buddy or Portable Buddy would do.

Does your Barth have double glazed windows?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
That's pretty cold. How cold did it get inside?

Worst was 60F, but that was when the outside temp was ~15F with a 25-35 NW wind. AND the ignitor board on the furnace had quit...that was before I wised up to the way the draft through the window seals was lowering the temp (see below).

On the -9F night, the furnace was working, and I kept the temp at the usual 65-68F.

quote:
How many watts did it take to keep warm?

I don't know what the rating of the A/C heat strip, but I ran a small forced-air heater at low (about 800W) and another at high (1500W). In addition, the HW heater was on electric.

quote:
Just curious how a Mister Heater Big Buddy or Portable Buddy would do.

Forced-air heaters work far better than quartz.

quote:
Does your Barth have double glazed windows?

No, but I have upholstery vinyl blackout curtains (necessary for star parties were no white light is allowed), and they helped a great deal. Where double-glazed would have been of no help is the draft through the seals. By duct taping the bottom of the curtains, that was stopped.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
well have a plug thats temp controlled plug in a little 6 inch ceramic heater with fan . comes on and goes off with compartment temp.. plugs are 14 $m and ceramic heater was bought at yard sale 5$...stasys toasty ..

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
When we have trouble with the furnace. We use a Little Buddy propane heater($70.00+-) in the morning in our 28 footer . Twin beds with one electric blanket so I get up and start heater and in 15-20 min warm enough to get up and when dressed it find in 30 or so weather.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLOOP JOHN B:
When we have trouble with the furnace. We use a Little Buddy propane heater($70.00+-) in the morning in our 28 footer . Twin beds with one electric blanket so I get up and start heater and in 15-20 min warm enough to get up and when dressed it find in 30 or so weather.

We also have a Portable Buddy that we totally love. We use it on a hose from the outside tank as well as with a portable 1 lb bottle.
We use it with a little battery powered fan on top to move the air around. We boondock down to the teens and sleep with no heat. In the morning, I reach out one arm and light it, and withdraw the arm back under the down comforter until things warm up a little. Pretty soon the coach is warming up and the sun is doing its job.

I love the sound in the morning of our roof creaking from the sun and the hiss of the heater as I sip my tea.

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote: "Then it occurred to me - I had to replace the city water connector a few years ago, and it was under the sink. So was the kitchen faucet hot water line! Off to the RV place for a couple of tees and 12" flex, on to Home Despot for a valve, and a half hour later I can pipe hot water into the FW tank with just a twist of the handle!"

Since then how well has this held up??

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
No leaks and no other issues.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
I did not know how good I had it.

My 1985 Barth Regency had a tank heater switch, just flip it on in freezing weather and a red light would glow letting you know it was on.

We used it several times in snow and freezing conditions in Missouri and North Carolina never had any problems. The tanks were also insulated.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The FW tank in my Regal is under the bed, above the floor. Stays warm inside the coach.

Nearly all the plumbing in the coach is above the floor. I have not had any problems as long as the coach is heated.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post