Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Regency Spare Tire
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Has anyone been able to extend one of the large lower compartments inward on the 34 and above Regencies to accommodate a spare tire? There may be room on the right side large compartment of my 34 to do it- the left is blocked by the propane tank. I will check when the weather is better.

The ridiculous part of the spare tire issue is that my coach was delivered with a spare tire and wheel to the original owner. Its part of the build manifest. The owner must have trucked it over to his home. I can,t see Barth rolling it inside and marking that beautiful new interior.

Clint

Posts: 60 | Location: Saint John, N.B. Canada | Member Since: 09-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I think the frame rail would be in the way.

Spare might have been on the roof. That is what Dr. Yale did with his Breakaway.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Morgan:

Thank you. The frame rail makes sense and as I mentioned, the weather is not good here at this time(big rain and wind storm coming up the Eastern seaboard) so I haven,t crawled under to look in detail.

I can,t imagine a scenario where I would be happy with the spare on the roof. Uncovered it would be hideous ruining the classic look. In addition, even if a box was made I would be worried about structural fatigue in the localized area of placement.

It appears that there are no easy answers.

Clint

Posts: 60 | Location: Saint John, N.B. Canada | Member Since: 09-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
It is unlikely that you could change it anyway without a heavy duty impact wrench and a 50 ton jack. Just use your towing and breakdown insurance to have a truck road service come and do it for you, if it ever happens. Because we are careful about date codes and inflation pressures and normally don't use recaps the potential for a tire failure is low.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom:

I have the insurance and most certainly will have to use it. . My desire for a spare is because of the locales where the coach will predominately be used. The Canadian Maritimes and Northern New England are mainly rural in nature. Tire shops keep low inventory levels. For example, here in Saint John, the largest city in New Brunswick, it would take 4-5 days to get a Michelin 22.5 replacement. There is just no weekly demand for pusher coach tires. If a tire was ruined, I just want to eliminate the guaranteed wait on the road.

Incidentally, Don had a blowout on the road with my coach and had to be towed in. He ended up putting 4 new Michelins on the rear.

Clint

posted Hide Post
Kevin:

Good question. I assumed tow but the service must have replaced one on the road and he drove in for the other three.

My toad is a Toyota Echo hatchback, 5 speed- weighs 2000 lb.- no room for the spare.

I have additional comments on placing the spare in the Barth- see new thread coming in improvements.

Clint

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
How about a V cradle on the front? With a nice tire cover?
On our Beaver the spare is under the front.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry Folks:

This confusion about the new tires on the rear of my Regency is my fault. I should never have mentioned the word "tow. My coach can`t be picked up from the back or flat towed (without driveshaft removal).

These are the facts as told to me by Don:

-had a flat after hitting something on the road.
-the tire was ruined and had to be replaced.
-decided to purchase 3 additional ones to be consistent with age and wear considerations.
-all the tires were purchased at the same place and time.

It follows that Don purchased the tires from the same business that handled his service call. They would have come out, taken the wheel off and installed one tire and remounted on the coach. Don would have then driven in for the install of the other three.

Hope this clears up the situation.

Clint

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Happy Thanksgiving to our extended family on Barthmobile, Larry and I are blessed to have you.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post