Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

After the storm
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted
My Breakaway has a stain on the wall above he side window next to the driver seat. I found water running down the wire from the satellite dish on our last trip. I Went up and found the wire had been cut where it was run into the coach. I removed the dish (very old tech) and filled all the holes with roof sealer. My better half was cleaning inside so I went in to inspect and noticed the headliner was sagging. This had not happened before. I removed the center 12v light and when i pressed the liner water came out. I used a board to "squeegee toward the opening. Got lots o water out.After this the liner no longer was sagging. I checked today and there was no sag but I could still push out (dark brown) water again. Not as much and we had a major rain storm this afternoon. Do I need to remove the panel to dry it? If so how does it attach I do not see screws. The Headliner is vinyl. Any Help would be appreciated.
Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
My 1993 Regency has panels with foam and vinyl glued to it. There are aluminum or plastic channels running across the ceiling and the center part is a removable strip. A small screwdriver will loosen it and you carefully pull it out. Then there are the equivalent of 4-40 phillips screws that may have rusted away or will break when you try to loosen them. Once out and the cabinets removed the panels can be lowered. They go up in reverse order. Once open you can add lots of insulation to reduce heat transfer from the sun. As I mentioned peviously when we did this I placed small pvc thin wall pipes to run electrical and added two extra wires for additions or to use as spares. For wiring connections I recommend solder and shrink tubing and removing the snap connectors used in production.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Wayne, I had a similar issue a few years back, The wires going into the coach from the factory solar panel were not calked well and during a rain storm, one panel got very wet. I tried to dry as best as I could but now that panel's vinyl and foam has shrunk and pulling away from the seam. Further, the foam has gotten very hard in certain areas of that panel.

To repair I will have to do as Tom did, pull the cabinets out and drop the panel.

That vinyl, luan plywood and foam does not like moisture

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
I second all that Tom has to say about the subject and his advice was great help during my recent foray up into "Barth ceiling-land". You may wish to do a Search on this forum for 'ceiling' and read some of the posts as many members have fixed ceiling problems in various ways. Tom's suggestion is most likely the ideal, esp. if you are planning to keep the vehicle a long time.

Kirk

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post