Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Maple?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Maple?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted
Hey, does anybody know what kind of wood this is? I will have to match it reasonably close this winter or the next.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
On my monitor, it could be maple or birch with a honey maple finish. But, who knows on a screen? The top picture looks much lighter than the lower one.

I would find a piece that had an unfinished area, like a drawer front or something, and take it to a real life wood guy. Do you have a Rockler's or Woodcraft near you or on the route of any travel?

The help in those stores comes in all flavors, and some of them really know their stuff. I learn a lot and spend a lot every time I go in.

Nice pictures. Van's really did a nice job of grain matching.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Kris, most of Barths cabinets are oak or cherry. That is definitely not oak. Maple normally has a very light blonde color unless it has been stained.

My suggestion is to take one of the doors off and try to match it. Cherry wood with a clear varnish or shellac will have a red tint unless it is stained darker. If you decide it is cherry and need to build additional cabinets, try alder. It is a fraction of the cost of cherry and only the most experienced woodworker could tell the difference. The grain and color look just like cherry.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
I do have a woodcraft near by...I have just the door to take in to them. I think you might be right about the Cherry Nick...lets see what these boys say. If so, it just has a satin finish clearcoat on it. (Thank God I don't have to redo all of the cabinets. It would cost a fortune!) Tina and I like these cabinets more than the ones we have in our house.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/08
Picture of Cabinetguy
posted Hide Post
It looks like Birch to me with some sort of a Minwax stain. It looks just like my 1998 BARTH, and it is definetly Birch.

1998 29' widebody
454 Chevy chassis

Posts: 85 | Location: West Des Moines Iowa | Member Since: 10-06-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell, but my guess would be birch with fruitwood stain.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post