Tools
Reply To This Topic

Insulation
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Dave you may still have full insulation. My 86 Regal was fully insulated with fiberglass in the ceiling, walls and floor. I think it was early 90's when Barth quit using the fiberglass. You may be lucky and have full insulation.

Even with its single pane windows, the 86 kept warm running down the road, down to single digits. With front heater and aux heater under the sofa, it was comfortable. After we stopped, it would be some time before the furnace came on. We were comfortable in the 20's overnight.

The 98 Monarch was always cold on the road. The front heater is weak. We have to run the generator and electric heaters to be comfortable. Even in the 40's it is barely comfortable. When we stop, the coach cools down quickly. The furnace comes on soon and runs often. I have now added full insulation in the roof and a second heater in the rear. We will test this soon.

In the Florida sun we noticed the roof and west wall really got warm in the sun. I put foam in the wall from floor to ceiling in the bathroom. It will be interesting to see what these changes do.

I will continue to add insulation wherever I can.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5170 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
While reading some notes from Mr. Beard, the original owner of our '89 Regal, he said that Barth started with the bubble wrap stuff in 1988. When he ordered his, which was special made, he specified fiberglass in the roof and walls at extra cost. My guess is that some 88s might have fiberglass and some bubble wrap. We were very fortunate to get this Barth. Not only does it have a unique floor plan,but even the walls and window treatment and dash harken back to the late 70s/early 80s Barths. And a 25'er with leveling jacks is also pretty rare. Plus, Mr. Beard, Marvin and Doris, and Jerry Davis took good care of it. Now I just have to find a deal on an Onan 4000 Smiler

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
posted Hide Post
I chose homasote because it can be used in damp locations, insulates well and is very good at sound deadening. The last time I used it was to cover my garage ceiling that was about 20 years ago and it worked very well. It made my garage alot quieter and much easier to heat in the winter. Back then I recall paying 8 dollars and change for a 4' x 8' x 1/2" sheet. Now, last time I checked it was around 32 dollars a sheet.

Three Times A Charm
88 30' Regal John Deere
Hot Rod Lincoln
511 Cubic Inches
8712-3499-30J-A

Posts: 220 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. | Member Since: 03-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I didn't notice this 4th page before I posted.

Well it's been awhile since I posted here on Barthmobile, life's twist and turns kept me away.

Jim, I'm glad to see that your back in another Barth! If you want to pm me I might have a generator for you.

Steve, my 88 does have fiberglass insulation and I can keep it warm even on a cold night but it is very costly. The gas heater will run 50 minutes out of an hour.

Now that my son James is getting older and eager to learn how to use power tools, we plan on redoing the ceiling 1st with the homasote. We will probably just do in between the cabinets to save alot of work, also I'm thinking the cabinets them self's add to insulating.

My coach suffers from the drooping head liner. Jim does your new to you Barth have the padded vinyl headliner? My rusty 86 does, and in my opinion was much better for longevity and r value.

Three Times A Charm
88 30' Regal John Deere
Hot Rod Lincoln
511 Cubic Inches
8712-3499-30J-A

Posts: 220 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. | Member Since: 03-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Just a single opinion, if I were to insulate my Glasnose, it has none! I would strip the ceiling and walls, mask everything, call in a spray Urethane foam guy to do everything. Shave it all back myself add a few slits to allow for twists and rolls. replace the wall and ceiling covers.

Most likely do only ceiling though with spray foam, leave the walls as they are.

Added this link just for fun https://www.energyefficientsol...IEAAYAyACEgIY-_D_BwE

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2049 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Yes, ours does have the padded vinyl headliner. It's in very nice condition. This Barth was kept garaged most of it's life.

Jim (aka Humbo)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Just a single opinion, if I were to insulate my Glasnose, it has none! I would strip the ceiling and walls, mask everything, call in a spray Urethane foam guy to do everything. Shave it all back myself add a few slits to allow for twists and rolls. replace the wall and ceiling covers"

That would be optional, but I'm afraid at this point in my life it would probably take me a few years to accomplish that big of a project.

I guess if I ever intend to fulltime in my Barth it would pay in the long run to go that route. But for now I'm going to try and get the ceiling done the best I can with minimum effort. I really hate looking at the droopy ceiling.

Three Times A Charm
88 30' Regal John Deere
Hot Rod Lincoln
511 Cubic Inches
8712-3499-30J-A

posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a really nice coach Jim. I wish my 88 had the interior of the 86, the 88 is nice and more modern, but is no where as homie feeling as the 86 and in my opinion the 86 was a better quality. I wish you many happy outings with it. I'm going to send you a P.M. with my phone number if you want to discuss the generator I have.

Dave

Three Times A Charm
88 30' Regal John Deere
Hot Rod Lincoln
511 Cubic Inches
8712-3499-30J-A

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dave. Our 85 Regal was really nice, too. I think the mid 80s were Barth's best years.
Years ago, I bought a brand new Ford window van. It was bare bones, just the front seats. I took it to a place that built boats and they spray foamed the entire thing. Then I paneled the walls and ceiling,carpeted it, built a rear bench seat for the kids, some other custom built ins, and off we went. It was toasty warm in the winter. My big mistake was not ordering air conditioning when it was new. It was pretty brutal in the summer. I was all of 38 years old. Could do darn near anything.
Jim (aka Hum)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B