Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Entertainment Systems
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted
I am refurbishing my 1993 Regency. I have replaced all piping, heating vents, refinished the cabinets, re-wallpapered, am currently putting in new flooring. My question is does anyone have any good hints as to the best way to go for the entertainment system. I have been looking at the Concertone ZX690. Does anyone have any experience/opinions on this product? What other tips could y'all provide?

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I replaced the dash cd radio with the Pioneer DVD receiver (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/DVD-Receivers/AVH-P6000DVD) and that allows me to have dvd, cd, MP-3 and 4, rear color camera and then add navigation, DSP 7.2 audio processor and control everything from the dash. It is a touch screen and can handle all the surround, thx and Dolby signals. This way I have one unit for all the entertainment and driving needs. So far it has been great. On line these are much less than the MSRP.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
posted Hide Post
Here's my system, The only problem is the complaints from the wife having to hold the speakers in place wile driving,But thats fixed by turning the volume knob to the right a little bit.

The amp also dubbs as a heater, Great for taking the chill off those November evenings here in the north east.

I know it's a little cumbersome but you can't beat the sound.

Three Times A Charm
88 30' Regal John Deere
Hot Rod Lincoln
511 Cubic Inches
8712-3499-30J-A

Posts: 220 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. | Member Since: 03-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Holy Cow! A Stereo 70!

Nice amp.

Used to have one. Kept modifying it until I enede up buying an Accrosound. Accrosound wound their transformers, and I ended up with an Accrosound amp. It really wasn't much better than the Dyna.
Ended up going to a pair of MK IIIs with more mods yet.

How come you don't use a PAS3? They are very good stock (a match made in heaven), and can be modded to KILL!

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill, I have a PAS 3, I need to rebuild it, but it's hard to find the time when I'm laying on the couch listening to this one.

Three Times A Charm
88 30' Regal John Deere
Hot Rod Lincoln
511 Cubic Inches
8712-3499-30J-A

Posts: 220 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. | Member Since: 03-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Since you're into old gear, keep your eye out for a Weathers speaker system. It was two small satellites with a center channel woofer. I ended up driving the center speaker with the plus outputs of each channel, with a treble filter. It really worked well for a small barracks room, and would probably work really well in an RV. In the LP days, the better recordings really sounded better. I would be curious how it would do with digital recordings.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info,I will have to give them a listen, you can never have to many speakers, (I only have about... I don't know alot), can you tell me when they were made? I really like the acoustic Research sound,so far with this amp these 338's have worked the best so far, I have a pair of AR 5's I want to try after I have them refoamed. Getting back to the amp what brand tubes do you think work best in the ST 70 ? I am using siemens right now.

Three Times A Charm
88 30' Regal John Deere
Hot Rod Lincoln
511 Cubic Inches
8712-3499-30J-A

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave R:
Thanks for the info,I will have to give them a listen, you can never have to many speakers, (I only have about... I don't know alot), can you tell me when they were made?

It had to be early sixties, as I was in the Army. I bought them from a guy who shipped out, so I don't know if he bought them new or used.

quote:

I really like the acoustic Research sound,so far with this amp these 338's have worked the best so far, I have a pair of AR 5's I want to try after I have them refoamed.

AR used to demo their turntable (live vs recording) with Dyna amps, and, of course, AR speakers and turntable. The turntable copied Paul Weathers' design. The AR3 was a super match for the ST70, as I remember. I couldn't afford the AR3s, but did have AR2 or some suffix or other, I think. I don't know the 338s, as I lost interest in Dyna when Vilchur left.

quote:
Getting back to the amp what brand tubes do you think work best in the ST 70 ? I am using siemens right now.

Golly, I haven't done an ST70 in a long time. If ie remember right, either Siemens or Telefunken were really good. Or the JAN GE ones, if you could find them. To tell the truth, I found tube picking to be more rewarding in the PAS 3 than in the ST70. If you get down to a chose between Russian and Chinese tubes, go Russian, by far. As I recall, the rectifier and driver tubes (7199) were hard to find.

Another speaker from those days that really goes well with a ST70 is a KLH 17. The K in KLH was Henry Kloss, one of the original design team for AR. Yet another beauty is the Rectilinear III. The crossover was designed by Jon Dahlquist, who walks on water. Those are two bargains on the used market that deliver killer sound, particularly with a good tube amp. But, they might be a little big for an RV.

You might give a listen to the Polk RT25i. They are small and reasonable, and were rated as the best speaker under a grand in a Stereophile review. By "a wide margin". http://www.stereophile.com/sta...kers/417/index1.html We find they work well in free air, such as on the dash or hanging from the awning, but not as well hanging on a wall. Ours are movable from hanging on the front overhead to hanging on the awning. I have spaced them out a little bit when they hang inside, and that makes the upper base a little faster, with perhaps less overhang and a little more spaciousness in a small RV.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave! I'm waiting for someone to ask "what are those glass things in that one picture?" Dick.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
I'm waiting for someone to ask "what are those glass things in that one picture?"
Strobe Lights Right? Big Grin

On a related note. I remember going to "Grants" with my Dad. He would bring a couple of those low output lighting products with him. There was a tester stand that he would use to find out which one was bad.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:

On a related note. I remember going to "Grants" with my Dad. He would bring a couple of those low output lighting products with him. There was a tester stand that he would use to find out which one was bad.

Those things were scary.

I once made up an adapter to allow me to put a Simpson between the tube and the tester. I wanted to measure current to closely match 12AX7 tubes in a preamp or a head amp. I got current readings that just HAD to be harmful to the tubes. Way above the RCA handbook's operating parameters.

I developed the suspicion that those store testers were designed to sell more tubes, so ended up with a military tube tester. I think it is Navy, as it is haze gray.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
My head hurts. Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
My head hurts. Big Grin

That comes from listening to electronic music digitally recorded and played back by solid-state electronics.

The only cure is LPs recorded and played back on tube electronics (preferably transformer-coupled Class A triodes) over electrostatic speakers. A listening room with lath-and-plaster walls and a suspended hardwood floor is best.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Big Grin That might be true Bill, but i haven't been listening to any music lately. Smiler It just hurts, (or should i say hertz ) from trying to follow this thread. ROTFLMAO

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In case anyone was wondering how I got these speakers to sit level on the Barth's slated dash.
I used official Barth speaker levelers that I purchased though this site from Bill N.Y.

Bill They Work Great you should patent them !!

Three Times A Charm
88 30' Regal John Deere
Hot Rod Lincoln
511 Cubic Inches
8712-3499-30J-A