Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

new seats
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted
starting on the new seats tuesday .I am going to take out the table then passenger seat then drivers seat when that is done we will take out the couch new years day to have it recovered. We should be on the road by the twelfth of January
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vince900ss
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you guys are getting this done! That's really going to be nice.
We actually are having our 3 seats re-done with the leather you saw on our sofa right now. Should have it back within the week. The folks who did the sofa called and offered us a big discount if we would do the work this week due to their business being very slow just now. So, we took them up on their offer.
Good luck with your project. I know you're going to love the change!

Vince & Michelle
1993 Front entry Breakaway 30.5
Cummings 5.9 190 HP with Banks upgrade to 210 HP, Allison 4 speed
Spartan Chassis

Posts: 78 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Member Since: 06-04-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks seats are in now I have to find the fuse I blew putting them on
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about either dyeing the chairs/couch or having them redone. Can you share the cost or the recovering in leather? My chairs are in good condition but shabby/dirty it was a cream/white color leather. No tears just old looking. The couch is also good but the leather is hard, very stiff not so comfortable to sit on, you sort of slide around a bit.

I would do this in March in Mesa, Az.

Thanks

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom, You might try cleaning then re-dying the leather. One site I know that has seat dying products is Eastman.com. Hope this gives you another possible option.

Posts: 6 | Location: N. California | Member Since: 10-08-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I could not find anything on the Eastman.com site. Is that the correct website?

I, too, would like to redye my captain chairs. Mine are good quality, nice, condition but they are a dark peanut brittle color. I'd like to update to a lighter color.

I have had good luck with the leather dye kits. A few years back, I redyed the steering wheel on my inlaws 2002 Avalon where they wore through the light color to the base leather. I put on the dye with a foam brush provided with the kit. You could not tell it from new. I was rather amazed.

The only concern I have with my current captain chairs are they have a lot of folds and tufts in the leather from the factory....and it may be tough to get the dye into all the crevices....may have to put on several several coats to get it done.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks,

K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we bought the new seats ours were really bad, two new seats coat $1000.00 and we our having the couch recovered for $600.00 all in white vinyl . Leather cost to much. Who wants dead cow on the seats anyway ?. Which we can not afford . THEY JUST BOLT ON TAKES ABOUT 1HR.I wish it could be leather but just do what we can.
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I will try the dye first, it will be about $100 for the dye. I am going to change from the Almond White to a mid tone color, so going light to darker will be fine. If the mid tone does not look good I can still go darker. It is not possible to go the other way I think.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vince900ss
posted Hide Post
We just got ours back, and it looks great. What a difference. Will get a photo posted, but for now, the cost to do the sofa and the 3 chairs in leather was $2050 (the leather itself was $600, and was purchased from a "close-out" dealer by my upholstery shop; the rest was labor). They did a beautiful job, and this included firming up the cushions, adding lumbar support, repairing a damaged section of the lower vinyl covering, etc. Our original seats were vinyl on the bottom and backs, and a different color cloth for the upper seating surface areas. Since the lower vinyl portion was still like new, we didn't replace that. Had we done so, it would have added another $500 or so in labor, and maybe another $400 in material. All in all, it totally transformed the coach inside, as we went with a dark brown leather that matches the woodwork. Now, it looks nearly like new inside! Very pleased.

Vince & Michelle
1993 Front entry Breakaway 30.5
Cummings 5.9 190 HP with Banks upgrade to 210 HP, Allison 4 speed
Spartan Chassis

Posts: 78 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Member Since: 06-04-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
If you have vinyl seats, the vinyl paint can be purchased at Autozone/O'Reilly for about $8/can.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My appologies. The site I was supposed to refer you to is Eastwood.com. They also have many great products for body and frame restoration. I am currently media blasting and repainting my undercarrage as I work my way through our 84 Regal.
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
I could not find anything on the Eastman.com site. Is that the correct website?

I, too, would like to redye my captain chairs. Mine are good quality, nice, condition but they are a dark peanut brittle color. I'd like to update to a lighter color.

I have had good luck with the leather dye kits. A few years back, I redyed the steering wheel on my inlaws 2002 Avalon where they wore through the light color to the base leather. I put on the dye with a foam brush provided with the kit. You could not tell it from new. I was rather amazed.

The only concern I have with my current captain chairs are they have a lot of folds and tufts in the leather from the factory....and it may be tough to get the dye into all the crevices....may have to put on several several coats to get it done.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks,

K&E

Posts: 6 | Location: N. California | Member Since: 10-08-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
hanks for the info. I will try the dye first, it will be about $100 for the dye. I am going to change from the Almond White to a mid tone color, so going light to darker will be fine. If the mid tone does not look good I can still go darker. It is not possible to go the other way I think.

This may sound strange, but I reconditioned a set of red leather seats in an Audi GT I had with red shoe polish. The leather was severely cracked and showed the natural beige color throughout the red, after I rubbed in the red shoe polish I buffed it out really well and they looked awesome for the cost of a can of polish. I worried that it might rub off onto light clothing, but it never did. Maybe worth a try.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com11/10
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted Hide Post
Corey, do you remember the brand of polish or if it was a cream type or the more paste type? Tana vs Kiwi if I remember correctly. The rubbing off aspect concerns me but sounds like a grate solution to those leather cracks.

1987 Newell ~ 40ft Widebody
2x f/o's: 1988 Barth - 33 Ft. SE tag axle & 1976 Barth - 24 Ft.

Posts: 115 | Location: Calgary - Alberta & B.C., Canada | Member Since: 09-17-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
It was Kiwi paste, I'm pretty sure. Definitely paste.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Corey have you ever seen the "Fastest Indian"? He used it on his cracked tires.
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B