Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

TV antenna upgrade
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/13
Picture of Steve Griffin
posted
Well, we got back home Sunday after a trip to Pigeon Forge, The Great Smokies, Asheville, NC and back through central Tennessee and Arkansas (2200 miles) without being spotted for the "Barth Sightings"!
Just before leaving, we purchased a 24" Axess 12V HDTV/DVD. It works fine with a "rabbit ears" antenna (outside, but not inside the coach), but the built-in roof rack antenna on the Toaster produces no usable signal. We hooked up to cable (through the window) at the Pigeon Forge KOA, but the camps in Maggie Valley and Asheville were converting to different cable providers and were off-line, so we just watched DVDs instead.
I am pondering running a coaxial cable from the shore power electrical compartment and underneath to an accessible internal wall common to a closet and mounting the TV on a swing-out bracket there, but am soliciting advice for a roof-top antenna for air broadcast. It will have to be pretty low profile (less than 10" tall) or fold-down or it won't clear the garage door. The air conditioner cover, at 9-3/4" tall, barely clears the door frame now.
The coach is wired with coaxial cable from the roof rack connector to two outlets inside now. These outlets also have 12V power plugs. If these could be used to hook up a new antenna, it would simplify things greatly, but would dictate that the antenna be mounted in the rear over the bathroom, behind the air conditioner.
I realize that those of you with newer coaches had a dedicated antenna from the factory, but those with older Barths have surely faced this same issue.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 151 | Location: Oologah, OK | Member Since: 10-05-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted Hide Post
My 93 had the old style of this, I upgraded to the digital wing and got great reception.
http://www.amazon.com/Winegard...gard+batwing+antenna

It cranks down to almost flat on the roof ,perhaps 2 inches tall when cranked down.
Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I would think you would have a switch someplace to select between antenna and cable. I would also think there is a switch for power to a signal booster, without which your TV will not detect the antenna signal.
Too bad you are not closer because I would give you a Phillips outdoor so-called HD antenna.
I got an inexpensive ($14.99) swing arm from Amazon to mount my 22" flat panel TV in the RV. When the RV is parked in the driveway, I pull one pin from the center of the swing arm to take the TV to my residential kitchen.

ps
I am leaving for the Smokies tomorrow, unfortunately neither in my motorhome nor my MINI
Swing arm is:
VideoSecu TV Wall Mount Articulating Arm Bracket for VESA 100 LCD LED Flat Panel Screen TV and Monitor ML10B 1E9

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Next time you are over this way again give us a call. Would love to have you over or meet you somewhere in the area. We live in Madisonville, TN. About an hour from Pigeon Forge. Sorry we missed you. This week we are in Holden Beach, NC about an hour & a half north of Myrtle Beach.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post