Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    My Barth Security System Now Installed
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
My Barth Security System Now Installed
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I have a concealed carry permit and, although I have yet to carry a gun with me, I've been told that if I am ever pulled over, I need to inform the officer of my CCP and that I am armed or unarmed as a courtesy. When they run a check of your drivers’ license, they'll find the information and will appreciate you telling them before they find it. I'd rather have an informed LE officer than a surprised one. I have also been told that what flies here in Colorado is not accepted in other states so I better know their laws before I visit them in case I'm pulled over. A CCP or FID might invite a search if they are privy to the same information Colorado has and, I think they are now. I do agree with Shadow man, I wish gun laws were the same everywhere, as long as they're allowed, and that a CCP or FID from one state or municipality was good in others.

As far as the wait time, it took about 10 weeks to get the permit in the mail once I applied. I only needed my DD-214 and had to be within 10 years of getting out of the service. When I was in the Air Force, I was never trained on the use of a handgun (only M-16s) but oddly enough, they accept military service or a hunter safety course as required training. Without one of these, you have to take a handgun safety course before you can apply. My 10 year limit expired six days after I applied so I made it just in the nick of time and it saved me some cash and time needed to take the course. I now have one registered hand gun but plan to purchase a couple more from a collector I know. I also have a 12 GA and a 30-30 even though I've never been a big fan of guns, I'll be darned if I'm going to have someone tell me I can't own one and with the current economy, thieves are spreading out. Another reason to own them is having 12 and 14 year old daughters. I suddenly had a need to stock up on weaponry and ammunition. As each potential date comes calling, they will find me looking very much like Andy Taylor sitting on the front porch cleaning my shotgun.

In reference to illegal off road fuel, the guy I bought the Stagecoach from, bought another coach (they wanted slides) and, on a trip to Baja, they filled up with off road diesel and raved about the low comparative cost. It doesn't sound like it is worth the savings anymore. I have no idea if it affects performance or reliability issues.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Towerguy Teach, those daughters or have someone qualified to do so,how to use those guns effectivly and safely .

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
I suppose it depends on the state. In Texas -if your carrying- you must inform the officer. If not then you don't. And in Texas that means -IF YOU ARE CARRYING-. If your weapon is in the glove box, in the center console, under the seat; by the law you are not -CARRYING-, and therefore don't have to inform the officer. Transporting a weapon in Texas is legal and does not have to be declared. This is a point of law for Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL) holders to understand. If they want to ride in their car with the Springfield in the center console this is legal and acceptable. Not so in other states.

The funny thing to me is in my state the CHL is issued by the DPS and I know THEY KNOW when I'm stopped if it's my car I have a CHL.
The CHL laws in Texas are strict and require full federal background check: you can't have much more than a couple of misdemeanor moving violations to qualify/keep your CHL. BTW: I as well have a DD-214 and that is not involved in the process here (every man from Texas has served???...). This is interesting to me for nearly half of everyone I know served somewhere. The law exam is comprehensive, the written test not a gimme, and the stress shooting test challenging: I am US Navy small arms trained.

So once Texas makes you run the gauntlet to get the permit: they figure you're a 'good guy', and you can carry nearly everywhere and they have removed all language that makes it possible to take your permit on a 'technicality'.

Unfortunately not all states CHL programs are nearly this comprehensive. My relatives in Mississippi told me awhile ago that the CHL permits issued there consist merely of a form completion and your John Hancock. I believe Texas gives these folks reciprocity and I don't believe my state should do that. Nothing against Mississippi, we have enough armed 'Cowboys' here in Texas as it is: why make 'em legal...

It is amazing how different the laws in the different states in this matter.

In summary, and please don't take this as Texas bragging: If all states had the high standards on issuing CHL's as Texas, ALL Americans would be considerably more safe in their homes and out about: many of the massive gaps in the 'Thin blue line' would be much better protected and defended.

So I'm heading off today to watch a 4th of July parade here in the Heart of Texas, then me, my wife and five kids head to the Llano river with two other families for tubing down the river. I'll be legally armed and my family and friends with me (more) safe from any foolish perps: the great thing is another 300,000 here in Texas will be doing the same thing legally carrying their self-defense weapons. We don't even discuss all the possibly innumerable 'good' cowboys (ranchers, farmers, former military/paramilitary etc) who are excellent shots, and carry but refuse to register...

Thanks God for the USA. Thanks God in heaven for Texas.

My 4th of July $.02 USD's. Make it a great one.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Report This Post