Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Interior Color Modification-Help!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Interior Color Modification-Help!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/16
posted
Greetings Barth Owners,

To refresh everyone's and add in the newbies, we bought our '85 30' Barth Regal last Oct. We now are getting into it with the winter weather giving us a break. I'm writing everyone on a question on interior. Ours is almost solid blue. Too blue-EVERYTHING'S blue but cabinets and toilet(!) The "wallpaper" is this fabric similar to strands of yarn vertically with blue, silver, gunmetal and white. I am entertaining the idea of painting the wallpaper in a textured way that would cover in a pebbled manner and allow thin lines of the original to peek through. The new color would be a warm lighter tan/sand/beige. The cabinets are cherrywood.
Any thoughts? Has anyone done this?

Thank you!

Posts: 77 | Location: IN | Member Since: 09-30-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Go for it!!

...and show us lots of fotos of before and after!!

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, Doug.....I will be tackling this soon. We're going into another cold snap so this will give me time to do a little more research and testing the idea. BTW, is this fabric/vertical strands of yarn look wallcovering typical for Barths? I've never seen it before.

Thanks!

Posts: 77 | Location: IN | Member Since: 09-30-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
This wall covering was used by Barth in the mid 80's. Our is a grey/green. Homer's 86 Regal is a beige/tan. This wallcovering has held up well. Later 80's and 90's used more of a vinyl type covering that have some seam separation and wrinkling problems in some coaches. Personally I like the mid 80's Barth cabinetry and wall covering, but I can see how a change to a earth tone might be an improvement. Post some picks for all off us to see.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Recently painted all the walls in our coach the color beige and also put down vinyl planks throughout most of the coach coach. Replaced the carpet up front and back with beige colored carpet. Also change the color of our dash and captain chairs from malve to white. I used SEM vinyl spray paint to change the color to white. We are going to have our sofa reupholstered to white in the next couple of weeks. It has been a major undertaking but it looks really great now. We are taking a little time off and are in Hot Springs Arkansas with our Barth.

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I suspect that the first coat of paint will raise "hairs" on the paper and may require light sanding with the grain to make it flat. After that it may look pretty good with a second coat. Find a piece of wall that is normally behind a cabinet, etc and try that.

Definitely keep us posted!

Fred, I'm looking forward to seeing your coach. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Folks,
Thank you for ALL of the answers! I agree that this fabric wall covering is very durable-ours looks new still. We only wish it was a different color. We are planning to keep the some of the blue features to retain the Barth's originality (color code: blue/silver))but tone it down. For painting it, one method I'm going to experiment with is using Chalk paint (for cloth) either with a stencil or this method-see video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RSKN8Ge-_A. Keep you posted-
Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
Doorman-you colors sound great; Homer's as well. Fred-congratulations on the plunge to redo your baby. We had owned other RVs and experienced the diversities of builders and trends-we really enjoy what Barth has done. I think this interior is a novel idea and tough as nails. Let's keep the ideas and details going-
Have a beautiful Sunday, everyone-

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Our late friends Lenny and Judy repainted the walls in their coach, with very nice results. I wish I could remember how they did it and what they used. Perhaps someone else remembers?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fred and Cindy-
What process did you use on painting the wallpaper?
We would love to hear and see how it turned out.
The work you did sounds great-bet it's nice.
We are considering pulling out the carpet and vinyl flooring as well but it's not at the top of the list at this point.

Thanks for the sharing-

Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Regal Blue.... No special process used. We used regular latex paint we bought from Lowe's. We just painted right over the wall paper covering. We pulled some of the covering off because it was too wrinkled and we painted two coats directly over the wood. It worked very well and you cannot tell the difference. There may be a blemish here or there but nothing is really perfect.

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Our late friends Lenny and Judy repainted the walls in their coach, with very nice results. I wish I could remember how they did it and what they used. Perhaps someone else remembers?

...is this what you remember?

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...223901467#3223901467

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post