Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    New Glass - Great Price!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Glass - Great Price!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
Last year I had Safelite come out and do their epoxy-injection "magic" on a couple small windshield chips. Over the winter one of them let loose, resulting in a 12" long crack right along my line of vision...time to replace Mad Since there was a little edge shading from glass delamination over the years, I opted to replace both sides. (DW730 &731).

Fortunately for me, Guardian Glass has a distribution center nearby, so I checked it out. They won't retail to consumers, advising me I'd have to go through one of their recommended installers to get pricing. Within two hours, installation rep inspected the project at my house, quoting me $400.00 for BOTH pieces, INSTALLED! I think this is a great price, based on what's been posted here over the years. Thumbs Up

FWIW: Guardian no longer has this glass in their computer database. They had to go to old hard-copy catalogs to get the glass #'s. Tell'em to look up GMC Astro Cab of the late '70's era. Found them in-stock at main warehouse in OH - be here Tuesday - installed Wed. Inventory is tinted only, no clear or shade band pieces available.

It's nice when a plan comes together at about 50% of anticipated price cheers

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's great! I am thinking of glass replacement, when I complete my engine project. I got the pass side last summer for $183 but was told driver side was not available. Thanks for the tip on the hard copy catalog, as you said the computers don't always have a listing anymore.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
FYI just had the drivers side windshield replaced. Don't know the price as MN comp requires 0 deduction on windshields. I think I got Guardian

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Just an update.....Installed today, whole process took two techs about 45 minutes to remove, prep, install, seal and clean-up......Looks good.....whole job has been painless.

According to windshield tech (who seemed to know his stuff), my new glass is not NOS inventory from Guardian, but new inventory mfg'd by FUYAO GROUP in (where else?) but China Ooops
They go by "FY" as their brand. Tech said there shouldn't be any supply problems for the foreseeable future.
Windows are clearly marked: FY brand, DW730 & DW731. Google searching brings mixed reviews about Fuyao, but fit was good and quality of transparency equals OEM, so only time will tell......

(Sigh), Little-by-little, part-by-part, piece-by-piece, my Barth is slowly becoming a global vehicle hmm

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
At least the one wheel trailer is made in the USA. Smiler

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
one wheel trailer is made in the USA

I don't know about that John....Maybe Korean steel, for sure a Mexican tire, Harbor Freight lights so you know what that means, etc. Granted, my labor was American, but it probably still came out at the world price of about two bits an hour! deadhorse

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Drivers side replaced today. $225
Would have been $20 cheaper had I took it in.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Lee, what did the frames around your windows look like when they had the glass out? They are steel and mine are rusty and I haven't had the courage to take good windows out to fix the rust. Did caulk behind the rubber quite a bit and have had no problems.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Only modest corrosion Jim.....I wish there had been time while the glass was out to POR-15 the interior of the "A" pillars, but the techs had a schedule to keep.

Now that I've seen windshield R&R take place firsthand, I could probably muster up the courage to remove them myself someday and fix it right...only two inexpensive looking hand tools were used (hook device for the edges & a guide for reinstalling gasket wedge piece). Those tools, plus LOTS of soapy lube type stuff. They pried gasket back and applied a good bead of caulk, so I'm pretty confident I won't have any problems.

My bigger issue is above the windshield at corners, where fiberglas cap & aluminum skin meet, both attached to steel tubing...differential movement & different materials,in the presence of moisture, are starting to cause skin corrosion on the exterior of the "A" pillars....a true "disaster" if one has a polish fetish Frowner

Picture of JoshS
posted Hide Post
Not to go too far off topic but Lee, I just looked at your blog and WOW. You have done an outstanding job with your Barth. She is beautiful!!! Very nice work.
Nice Barth but I must say, there is nothing more beautiful than family and you have also done an amazing job with your family there.

Where is the one wheeled trailer from?

Posts: 90 | Location: Belfair, WA | Member Since: 10-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words....and you're right - family IS the most important asset a man can have. Our Barth has two purposes - to build family relationships and create memories....It's served us well in that regard.

The trailer is kind of my own design, with liberal plagarizing when it suited my purpose. Now into its third year, it's fully met my expectations - a place for bikes & mopeds, yet almost none of the drawbacks of pulling a trailer. Don't even know it's behind me....on turns, just gotta remember not to swing it out into opposing traffic confusion

FWIW, I did a little blurb about it awhile back at: http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...31087061/m/233103092