Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    conversion of twin beds to queen island bed configuration
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

conversion of twin beds to queen island bed configuration
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Super Shorty
posted
Is it feasible to convert a twin bed configuration to a queen island bed in a 28' or 30' Barth Breakaway? Has this conversion been done and what is the difficulty level?

Posts: 2 | Location: Missippippi Gulf Coast | Member Since: 07-13-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The usual answer is "It Depends".

Depends on what is underneath the beds.

I took out twin beds on our gasser and put it a standard double bed. A queen would have been so long as to eliminate the ability to walk around to each side.

I had to put in a different water tank, relocate the water pump and valving, and reroute the water lines. Had to build a nightstand in each corner.

I made the top of the bed to lift up on air cartridges for storage, with a little cave that allows an ice chest to slide out without lifting the top.

Nothing big, just time-consuming.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My Breakaway has a shorty queen bed, which doubles as the access hatch to the engine compartment. Also under the bed is substantial storage, where I keep fluids, belts, and other spare parts. The electrical panels, relays, and converter are also in their own compartment there.

I can't see a conversion being other than a very major job.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
THis might be slightly off topic...

Our Regal had rear twins. We wanted the sitting room more. So I replaced the mattresses with twin jacknife sofas. I bought units ($199 each) that had screw off legs, and they just sit on top of the twin bed platforms...no modifications needed. During the day, we have two really nice sofas and we enjoy the three large windows in the back (it's a lot like a private railroad compartment). At night, the beds make one really humongous extra large king bed....

One other advantage, with 3, 5 and 6 yr old boys, it gives us two separate living areas...really nice!

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our Regal had rear twins. We wanted the sitting room more.

That sounds like a real cool conversion, great use of space.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:

Our Regal had rear twins. We wanted the sitting room more. So I replaced the mattresses with twin jacknife sofas. I bought units ($199 each) that had screw off legs, and they just sit on top of the twin bed platforms...no modifications needed. During the day, we have two really nice sofas and we enjoy the three large windows in the back (it's a lot like a private railroad compartment). At night, the beds make one really humongous extra large king bed....

Golly..............never thought of that. Pretty good idea. Not as much storage, though.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
old thread but....do you have any pic's of your sofa's up and then down? Just curious how that actually looks?

or any other rigs with the twin to queen redo..

tnx

Mike W

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post