Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Few Issues With My Recent Purchase
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/20
Picture of Paul And Jaime
posted
Hello all. Been a minute since I posted. I have been crazy busy with work and Barth remodel.
I had several problems with my coach after I drove it for a weekend trip a few weeks ago.
1. Toilet leaked into carpet and ran into bed area.
2. Water heater busted and leaked into entire sofa area.
3. Fan vent in bathroom leaked.
4. Mouse infestation at some point in back corner by water tank.
5. Black tank has a very slow drip leak on threads where pipe comes out.
6. Transmission pan leaks where a drain plug was added at some point in it's life.
7. 3 way frige stopped working ( really didn't work good any way ).
8. Filter on carb was stopped up.
9. Leak on drivers side upper compartment in the front. Prob. a marker light.
10. Bedroom AC quit working.
11. My give a dang broke before we made it home. LOL

All in all though, it ran like a champ, only broke 1 belt ( alternator ) and I average about 10 mpg! So I was very happy with the condition of the motor and transmission.
I have started fixing all the problems. To date I have.

1. Changed the transmission fluid and filter.
2. Changed the carb filter.
3. Fixed the leak in the transmission pan.
4. Removed all the flooring in the entire coach.
5. Removed the water heater.
6. Put on all new belts.
7. Fixed the vent fan leak.
8. Added Two steel rollers in the back to prevent dragging.
9. Removed 2 bathroom walls because of leaking mess and rot. ( Bottom of wall was rotted and soaked with god knows what, well we know what).

I will post pictures as soon as I get my stuff straight if anyone is interested in the carnage. Do I regret my purchase? Heck no, I have had a blast so far and will continue to do so until the motor blows up, then I will be very sad but until then its been awesome!

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
...With My Recent Purchase

we are glad you are having fun Smiler

What year/model did you get??

Whats her name?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a 1984 32 foot royale. As for a name, my wife gave it the esteemed name of ole squishy. I do believe however this will be a temporary name. At least I hope is it anyway. lol

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
quote:
All in all though, it ran like a champ

1. Toilet leaked into carpet and ran into bed area.
You married a good lady! Laughing so hard I can hardly see the keys to type.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Did the name come to mind when she awoke?

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Saving this to show the wife "Quit the bitchin".

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Never forget, "The best defense is a good offense!"
:-)

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Explain to her it's a testament to the benefit of owning your own coach. "Imagine experiencing the creep in a motel."

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pirate19:
Did the name come to mind when she awoke?

That was a most excellent guess!! She woke up in the middle of the night and got both of her brand new socks wet. Needless to say she was not happy with that development.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Ah the joys of the RV learning curve! ROTFLMAO

One of my friends discovered that when the grey water tank is overfull, the first thing it backs up into is the shower stall. Of course, he discovered this because his wife had stored all the freshly laundered clothes in the laundry basket sitting in the shower... confusion Mary was not too pleased...

I think you will be well rewarded if you invest the time now to thoroughly inspect as much as you can. Sadly, some of what you mention are really routine service tasks. Many owners get behind and sell the coach with numerous unfinished jobs. Only the luckiest of buyers will find an old coach that is truly a turn key vehicle.

However, once you get past the initial list of jobs, you should be able to reach a period of stability and enjoy the coach.

Good luck with your ongoing work. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
my major concerns, as I think the Royale is a machine with a 454 and some similarities to mine:

There is a 6" hunk of fuel hose between the steel lines going forward to from the fuel tank, and the steel lines of the tank. That probably has not been inspected in decades.

Belts: modern belts are made on metric tooling. I have seen belts that are 1mm and 1.1mm under the same part number masquerading as something intended on an English measurement system. In addition to the width variances, the angle of the V on the belts may be different from the V in your pulleys. I love the phrase "new old stock" on ebay, and getting belts with decades of dust on them, just to be sure.

Belt Adjustment: the bolt holding your alternator angle is a hardened bolt. But it probably isn't as hard as it once was. For less than a dollar, this gives good peace of mind to replace.

Happy Motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a purchase we made from Lazydays in Tampa back in "05. It was a beautiful 34' Monaco Dynasty. We picked it up late afternoon on a Friday and drove to our favorite campground on Siesta Key. It was our second motor home, the first being a Trek that had a wonderful layout but couldn't keep itself between the lines. We arrived about 9 PM, had the usual mayhem of backing a 34' diesel pusher into a small spot, and settled in for a nice sleep. Tere, who can smell a skunk from a mile away, awoke in the middle of the night and said, "Something stinks". It seems Lazydays had failed to empty the holding tanks and they were way beyond full. No problem. Out we went in our pj's only to find the one dump hose was about 3' short of the drain hole in the ground. So, with one holding the hose and the other holding a bucket, we drained about 50 bucketfuls of someone else's, poop. The only fortunate thing is that we were 20 years younger. If it happened today, I would just drive it into the ocean and go down with it.
Jim (aka Hum)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like we both had some pretty crappy luck..... Sorry I couldn't resist. Shields Up
I know the little animation is Darth Vader but without my glasses it looks like a very skilled poo. hahahahaha.

posted Hide Post
Ole Squishy...that's the best! I think maybe it's done stuck.

Posts: 11 | Location: Phoenix, AZ  | Member Since: 07-01-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by April:
Ole Squishy...that's the best! I think maybe it's done stuck.
Geesh I hope not!!