Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Honda EV6010 RV Generator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted
Does anyone have any experience with one of these units? I am thinking of replacing my old ONAN and saw one of these used at a reasonable price but it has 1400 hours on it. I have used a lot of Honda products over the years and have been more that happy with them.

Neil.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
I have the 4000 watt version of this machine converted to propane. The Honda 2 cyl engine is smooth as glass and very easy to live with when it is running. If it appears to have been maintained properly and the price is right there is no doubt about it having Honda's typical quality.

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
we have the 4010 running on gasoline. Happy with it.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1186 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Steve was using a EU3000 inverter unit that I think is completely different.

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madrone:
I have the 4000 watt version of this machine converted to propane. The Honda 2 cyl engine is smooth as glass and very easy to live with when it is running. If it appears to have been maintained properly and the price is right there is no doubt about it having Honda's typical quality.

I talked to this guy http://www.pinellaspowerproducts.com
and he replied with this email:

" They will run for at the very least 7000 to 8000 hours if you keep them stock but if you convert them to propane the are junk in about 1000 hours"

---
Thank You
Paul Wolaver

I thought it was interesting that in his opinion you should not run them on LPG. He says LPG will burn the valves very quickly.

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here's my post on installing the EV-4010, similar in size to the 6010.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Well I found one on craigslist and went to take a look. I got there and of course it would not start but just pumped fuel out of the carb. I ended up buying it like it was for what I thought was cheap enough to take a chance. I got it back to the shop and took the carb off expecting to see a gummed mess. The carb was clean as a new one but for what ever reason the needle valve would not stop the gas flow. I went to order a kit and found just the needle was $48 but I could get the whole carb for $145. I ordered a new carb and all the other tune-up stuff I though I would need. I bolted up the carb and it started first time and purred like a kitten. I plugged in the Barth and it ran both A/C units, electric water heater and every load I could put on it with out even a hiccup. I never had a ONAN unit that would do that with out complaining. As far as sound goes the best way to describe it is the ONAN in like my Harley Ironhead and the Honda is like the Honda CM400 I used to have. The honda exhaust is so quit you cant hear it. Engine noise is a substantial whine but a lot better than the ONAN rattle and clank. I changed all the fluids, filter and timing belt and have less than $1000 in it with the remote. It looks like it is designed to fit in the same mounts as the ONAN so that should not be a problem. Hopefully I will finally have a dependable generator that wont let as down at the most inopportune moments. In the south you need A/C in the summer.

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you did very well. I'd like to hear more discussion about the LP. I've heard great stories about cars and light trucks in fleets running half a million with no problems. From what I understand the biggest drawback to LP is lack of access. Anybody??

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Sounds like you did very well. I'd like to hear more discussion about the LP. I've heard great stories about cars and light trucks in fleets running half a million with no problems. From what I understand the biggest drawback to LP is lack of access. Anybody??

Paul said basically LPG doesn't have the lubricating properties needed to keep the valves lubricated, therefor the valves "burn". I am not sure if he was saying the engine used on this generator specifically had a problem or if was a problem with all internal combustion engines. I have heard that an engine using LPG does tend to need valve earlier than gasoline.

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I have a LP generator, access is one thing and cost to operate is another. Propane is nearly and in some places the same cost per gallon as gasoline. LP engine do not put out the same KW/gal as gas engines do. Mine goes thru propane very quickly! I guess that is why there is a 45 gallon propane tank.

Ever since the lead was taken out of gasoline, there is no valve lube with gasoline either. Most fork lifts used inside factories are propane power and they run forever! Propane is a lot cleaner burning than gasoline and has a lot less combustion contaminates that will degrade engine oil.

They burn a lot cleaner and have a distinctive exhaust smell. Probably will not get a complaint in a camp grounds for exhaust fumes.

The loudest noise from mine is the cooling fan.

At some point in the future I will replace this unit with a quiet diesel. I can reduce the amount of propane that I carry and get a larger capacity unit. Diesel is much safer than propane.

I also am not fond of having the liquid propane hose running from back to front. Yes there is a demand valve that will close in the event of hose failure or accident BUT-----

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Our 1971 Hyster Fork Lift originally was gasoline and then later converted to propane. Has unknown hours because hour meter died long ago, but it has a Kubota 4 cyl engine and gets little maintenance. Maybe an oil change every couple of years and it just keeps on tickin'. More issues with the hydraulics than the engine. We use a 30 pound bottle about every month. No real emissions or odors experienced by the driver or people working nearby. Would think the same for a generator. However, I love our Kohler clunker 10kw diesel generator and would not change it, now that we made it a quiet box.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a propane fired EV-6010 which worked very well, is fairly quiet and produces very little exhaust odor.

Unfortunately, it has an extreme oil leak coming from somewhere at the bottom of the case ...leaking so much oil that the low oil shut-off will no longer deactivate.

Have not had the time to remove the genset and have it repaired.

Really need to get this thing repaired as it is so handy when there is no place to plug-in or current is limited.

Posts: 33 | Location: midwest | Member Since: 05-05-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
It sound like it could be the oil pressure switch causing both problems if it not turning the engine off. It is located right next to the oil fill/level plug.

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Well it all installed and was obviously designed to fit in the same location as the ONAN units. Even the remote start unit fit in the exact same hole. I had to weld and modify the base plate as it was looking like Swiss cheese after four different generators. I let it run in the driveway for 4 hours while cleaned and watching a NASCAR race with no problems.

NT

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"