Tools
Reply To This Topic

Getting high working on Barth AC
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
After all the time I spent under the coach, I thought it was about time to "get on top of things" My front AC unit was REALLY old and barely working. My TV antenna didn't work well and I wanted to upgrade to an HD TV antenna.

I have 2 ancient Coleman AC units. They worked for a long time so I got another Coleman replacement, a power saver model.

Went on top to get started. Here's the original.

Removed outer cover:

Went inside to remove those pieces. Old plastic cover:

Underneath is a nasty metal frame:

Disconnect power wires and control panel plug and 3 large bolts, leaving just hole in roof:

Back up on roof. Remove old unit. (Oops, I dropped it!) Big Grin Too bad...
(No time for vertigo now!) Tin Foil Hat Club

Line up the new unit over the hole:

Back inside. There is just one small metal clamp ring, a bolt in each corner.

Then connect the wires and install the plastic cover, (smaller than the original!)

Back on top: Install plastic cover. (I also replaced the complete Winegard antenna system with the new HD model)

No wonder this thing barely worked! Waddya mean "cooling fins?"

Both the antenna and the AC were pretty easy jobs. Worst part of the AC was hauling it up on the roof!
Works great and uses less power than the old one.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
If you are getting rid of the old outside cover. Keep me in mind. Our rear one is 2 broke ones patched together. The front one I was able to replace with 1 Bill NY gave to me at Millford I.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Talk about strike while the iron is hot! I was thinking someone might want that cover, looks like it's yours! Not in bad shape, no cracks, one dent/crease in one corner. I'll see if we can get it to you soon.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
How do you like your new antenna? Im guessing if it works in Kalkaska it will work anywhere.

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The antenna works well. As soon as I got it installed, I got some local channels I could't before. The new one is specifically for HD (UHF) the old one wasn't (besides I stepped on it last winter...) It had been torqued on for years till the base was bent, loose and leaking.

I replaced base and all. Couldn't use pop rivets, holes were pulled out way oversize. Ended up with small hollow wall (Molley style) anchors to screw it down with. Well sealed and very solid now.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
Nice Job, looks great!

Where did you get the Coleman AC, did the new unit come with a roof seal?

I thought about replacing mine, Camping World had a great deal on the Dometric Penguin which I have in my Barth.

I just bought a new bigger TV 24" for the front, after seeing yours at the Milford GTC I new I should have gone bigger than the 19". Haha really didn't need it but I wanted it!

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
You might consider replacing before your A/C craters. I replaced mine and sold the old ones for $275 each on Craigslist. I found mine on EBAY with no tax and free shipping. It did include a new seal.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I got the unit from Camping World (with some $100 promo deal my wife found on the web) Shipped by freight to my door. Includes roof seal.

I would sell them used but both were really bad. I put a matching Coleman in the front but I'm thinking of a smaller one for the bedroom when I replace that one in the near future.

The 24" TV works well in the living space and is fairly easy to fit in place. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp