Tools
Reply To This Topic

Major Upgrade: RAIN X
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted
All,
I'm drinking coffee in Sun City West AZ, wife and kids and mother just waking up: HAPPY THANKSGIVING WEEK!
Just drove in from Brady Yesterday but I wanted to report in on the trip we took from Brady TX to Vicksburg MS 4 weeks ago to a family reunion. A major wet cold front passed and I knew I'd be driving for many miles through rain. I haven't used Rain X since I sold my airplane 12 years ago so I researched if there was anything better: seems Rain X still respected. I was and am concerned about the condition of my original wiper arms, the motors are connected to the sheet metal by only one rivet on the passenger side.... Can't figure this one out soooo....Long story short: Applied the Rain X as instructed on spray bottle:
We entered the rain 30 miles west of the Texas Louisiana border and drove through it all the way to Vicksburg MS (200 Miles), very heavy rain continually. I followed the procedure and left the wipers OFF. Everyone else sans Rain X had wipers on MAX HI speed. I had no wipers on and no issues seeing. And that in the mix of being boxed in by multiple semi-trucks throwing the road film everywhere. In approx 200 miles of very heavy rain freeway driving I turned the driver wiper on only for 1 left right motion and then off, I did this 3 times to push the dirt and grime off.
So 200 miles, heavy rain continuously, and only 3 complete wiper cycles and no problem seeing.
BTW I noticed the semi-trucks westbound with wipers wide open (Max High), however a few had no wipers going at all, just as I was doing: other -smart- Rain X (or similiar) users.
Thought I would share this, I know some of y'all are using it, but I've read the threads of concern over wipers needing overhaul.
If you need to travel and can't get your overhaul done, GET RAIN X, it works. As well the bugs don't stick nearly as well.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Ditto to Rain X. Our MH does not have wiper problems & I don't want any either. We applied Rain X before our trip to Wash DC get together & had no rain to dc but on way home we did. Used two separate wiper swipes on trip home & they were off the rest of the time. Had no trouble seeing with the Rain X.

As I was reading this post I was thinking about rain xing the brow of Barth where we painted this summer to help with bug removal. Any pro's or con's to this idea? We may be painting a blue stripe across the brow in the future.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
quote:

As I was reading this post I was thinking about rain xing the brow of Barth where we painted this summer to help with bug removal. Any pro's or con's to this idea? We may be painting a blue stripe across the brow in the future.
Tere

A colleague of mine's in laws own a car wash in San Angelo, they apply some Rain X product for an extra cost to the whole vehicle if selected. My friend claims it makes the whole paint job easier to clean, particularly bugs.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
With 20" blades, bottom-mount arms and just two speeds, my wiper system is less than stellar, and I've been a Rain-X fan for years.....For me, Rain-X straight treatment is much more effective than the combination Rain-X glass cleaner/treatment they also sell. On & off w/ microfiber rags seems to work best.

CAVEAT: Lot's of 'net chatter regarding Rain-X penetrating windshield chips, negating any epoxy-injection repair attempts.....opinions range from "slight inconvenience" to "can't be done". So if chip repair is in the plans, you might want to read-up on what's been said.......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
With 20" blades, bottom-mount arms and just two speeds, my wiper system is less than stellar, and I've been a Rain-X fan for years.....For me, Rain-X straight treatment is much more effective than the combination Rain-X glass cleaner/treatment they also sell. On & off w/ microfiber rags seems to work best.

Thanks to Rain X, my wipers are there for legal purposes only.

It also is super on a motorcycle helmet face shield.

quote:
CAVEAT: Lot's of 'net chatter regarding Rain-X penetrating windshield chips, negating any epoxy-injection repair attempts.....opinions range from "slight inconvenience" to "can't be done". So if chip repair is in the plans, you might want to read-up on what's been said.......

Sad Story: Some time ago, a co-worker had that situation. He reasoned that a hard spray of MEK would wash away the Rain X from the areas of the chip/craze that it had penetrated. The MEK penetrated the damaged area through the tiny cracks and damaged the adhesive/plastic layer underneath, making the area worse than ever.

I think the technique would work with a more benign solvent, such as alcohol or Castrol Super Clean, though.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
for bugs on the front of the coach I use furniture spray polish and dont wipe it offat the end of the day NO BUGS. I only use rainX on the glass.where our clear coat is offI think rainX wipes off the red strip on front
just a thought
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've use Rain-X for years, without a problem, on my van that has had a cracked windshield since before I got it - no seeping.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post