Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    GM 5.7L, 7.4L, 6.5L TD Motor Mounts
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

GM 5.7L, 7.4L, 6.5L TD Motor Mounts
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
In another post I chronicled how I discovered my motor mounts were shot (the fan was hitting the shroud). Since the 6.5L TD is in the back, road movements are amplified, and these mounts lasted <30K miles [actually since the problem started a year ago, <20K miles).

I replaced them with NAPA standards, but on another forum I queried members about heavy-duty mounts, and ended up here.

I doubt this is a chronic problem with the front-engine 7.4s and 5.7s, but with the loads the 7.4 deals with, maybe this link will help.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Just a comment on the urathane mounts. When we had our bus I replaced the worn out radius arm rubber bushings with the modern urathane. Big mistake! Had a much harsher ride. I would maintain that the urathane motor mounts would transmit far more engine vibrations than rubber.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'll take the vibrations over a wandering engine.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can add is not all urethane mounts are created equal. I have used many different urethane mounts on many different applications with varying results. In the same car one mount transferred so much vibration you would think it solid metal mounts. After some research and trial and error I found a mount that
did not transfer the vibration but held up to the heat of the engine bay. I now buy this mount a dozen at a time for my client’s cars. The only advice I can give is buy them from a source that knows it will work in your applications. The fact that is looks the same and fits is not good enough.

Neil.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The Prothane mounts get high marks on The Diesel Page, a 6.2L/6.5L forum. My AMG engine vibrates very little. I believe the sagging of the stock mounts is due to the moment arm of the overhang accentuating the road-induced motion and stressing them in ways not intended.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke