Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    destroy the barth "look"?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

destroy the barth "look"?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/09
Picture of Gorman Newman
posted
do you guys think that I would be destroying the "Barth" if I do a headlight conversion on it to the small round lights??? removing the older square lights? Would I be like the red headed step child? Does the Barthmobilers look down on doing things like that and possibly painting it a little different? I know the straight lines are symbolic of Barth but I have seen some beautiful paint jobs |without swoops| that I could maybe incorporate the linear colors........gorman

I don't want to take away from it for sure....I love the "short bus"

1995 Barth Mobile Office
P-30 454 23'
Data Tag 9505 S0002 23L 01

Posts: 61 | Location: Panama City Beach, Florida | Member Since: 08-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Gorman, a Barth is a Barth is a Barth. A coach by any color is still a coach.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Hey Dubbs, I call dibbs on these first! Razzer

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
In my misspent youth, when I raced sports cars, there were characters called, "purists," who stood behind the fence in berets & driving caps, spoke knowledgeably about sports cars, & made disparaging remarks about cars that were modified, or built from scratch by their owners. One thing the "purists," never did was get out & race.

There is a society of classic car owners with legitimate concerns about maintaining the purity of the breed because it affects the value of their investments. Barths may develop such status generations hence because they do last, but for today, a Barth is not an investment in anything except fun. It is a useful artifact, and one should find pleasure in its use, whether working on it & maintaining it, or using it for camping & travel.

It would be nice to be able to maintain one's Barth in totally original condition, and there may be some who take pride in doing so, but it doesn't increase its value, or utility. The newest Barth will soon be twenty years old, & I doubt that there are any, "purists," in the Barthmobile community who would object to safety, or any other modifications to take advantage of technological change.

Of course, that's just one man's opinion.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
When I got mine I thought the same thoughts for about two minutes. There are too many things I would like to do with this motorhome. I have come to think of it as a wonderfull base for me to make a motorhome the way I would like it.

Modify away.....

John

Now in Progress.

Posts: 64 | Location: Penryn Ca | Member Since: 08-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Of course I would like to keep my 1975 "Original" but my knowledge and cash flow say different, I take care of safety factors and the rest goes in the gas tank Tooling Along

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Well let's see, i own a bus conversion, and a 59 Ford pickup and a 62 triumph TR-4 that have both been modified so what can i say? Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post