Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Front Entry Door Replacement
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted
Our coach is a 30' front entry Breakaway with no screen. We would like to install a screen door or replace the whole door with a entry door that includes a screen. Has anyone done this or does anyone know where we could buy either a screen that would fit or a whole new entry that includes a screen door? Confused

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Braley
posted Hide Post
I have exactly the same situation with my coach and would certainly like to be informed if someone comes up with a solution.

92 30' Breakaway

Posts: 42 | Location: Milan, OH | Member Since: 07-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The PO on mine made a screen curtain, which works well - except it won't contain the dogs.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I replaced the front door on the Regency when we bought it because of some PO damage. We had to start from scratch and build the entire door using the old one as a pattern. Involved constructing a new frame with 11ga aluminum sheets for each side and using the original hinges. Everything was TIG welded and insulated. No screen was added but it looks like that could be done. The Gillig shape was not like any other coach so it was a manufacturing job. The result is basically a vault door that could have been made from 14 gauge as well. Happy with results but you would need access to a machine shop or fab shop to make it. Probably best to take it to a few places and get a price and then decide. We painted the door while off the coach so that was not a problem as it was all anniversary silver.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about a curtain type screen however one of the goals besides keeping bugs out is to keep the cat in. The dog is not a problem.

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Braley
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in seeing a photo or the notes on how to do the screen curtain - don't think I'm up for the new door idea. Thanks.

Braley, Milan, OH

Posts: 42 | Location: Milan, OH | Member Since: 07-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I posted pix a few years ago...try a search.

(Never mind - the thread is gone. You can see my screen at Milford III).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Braley
posted Hide Post
Thanks, looking forward to that.

posted Hide Post
We are the proud new owners of a 1994 Breakaway XL with front entry door. The wind blew door open and top strap broke and tweaked it just enough that has considerable wind noise. Anyone have suggestions or experience readjusting door so it fits better and less wind noise. Looking for suggestions - Rich Farr - location Tulsa, Ok.

Posts: 24 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Member Since: 09-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
With the door closed, look carefully, from the inside, to see where it seats and where it doesn't. might help to have the curb side facing bright sunlight. Once you determine where the gaps are, close the door against a 2X4, or some other lumber, placed where the door hits first. Then, from the outside, push firmly against the area(s) where the gaps were. I have seen this done to steel framed automobile doors in body shops. I don't suppose it takes much pushing to torque an aluminum framed RV door.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re; door, had the same problem with mine, Mogan's suggestion works but the breakaway door is sturdy and complex so it takes a bit of thought and in my case the factory retaining straps are what did the damage. it needs a strut or a latch-open device. Gusting wind starts to close the door and then slams it against the straps.

Posts: 81 | Location: golden valley, az | Member Since: 02-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The PO of mine installed a lift strut which dampens the door if the wind catches it.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
Thank everyone for the suggestions on re-aligning the door - PO has already installed a new strap at the top and a gas strut about 1/3 way up from the bottom - looks like the actual door hinges are slightly out of shape so am going to take it all apart and see what can do to straighten and re-align.
######
Next question - our coach is 9310-3888-33CG-7C
which is a 1994 Breakaway XL with Cummins. one of the previous owners removed the data tag and have all the info except the GVW which would help with tire selection - I will have it weighed, but would like to know the official GVW - suspecy close to 29,000 lbs. any ideas how might obtain that info?
Thanks - Rich Farr

Posts: 24 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Member Since: 09-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
John, look at the "for sale" pictures,(now in the "Sold" location) of the 1994 Breakaway XL that I used to own,(now proudly owned by Rich Farr), for a picture of what Rusty is referring to. I installed a lift strut on that Barth and it worked great. I made the brackets out of some stock aluminum angle I had and got the lift strut at a NAPA store. I had to experiment with a few struts. The first few I tried had to much resistance in them. I also installed a couple of brackets at the top, (one on the door frame, and one on the door), that were linked together by a camera strap.

Posts: 173 | Location: Greeneville TN | Member Since: 05-11-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next question - our coach is 9310-3888-33CG-7C
which is a 1994 Breakaway XL with Cummins. one of the previous owners removed the data tag and have all the info except the GVW which would help with tire selection - I will have it weighed, but would like to know the official GVW - suspecy close to 29,000 lbs. any ideas how might obtain that info?
Thanks - Rich Farr

Call Gillig, and with the VIN, they can give you the specs.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke