Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Windshield Wipers
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted
Our coach is equipped with air operated windshield wipers and I have wondered about changing them to electric. Has anyone done this conversion?
Nick

wiper blades, linkages and motors

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
I have not made that conversion Nick but I will say that I have electric units on my coach. One of the motors must have went for the previous owner, they replaced it, and my wipers work completely independantly of eichother like they are posessed. I just thought I would throw this out there for your possible reconsideration. I take it your unit is giving you some grief?

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
The windshield wipers are completely separate. One control for each side on the dash and everything. The air motor or transmission ( I don't know which is the correct nomenclature) for the drivers side needs to be replaced because it is aluminum and the ports for the air lines are bad. One is cracked and the other is stripped so it has a bad air leak. Can't decide whether to replace it or convert to electric.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Although it doesn't address your specific question, I'll bet JB Weld would repair your broken and cracked aluminum air ports. You can get it at Lowes and it's a miracle epoxy two-part repair system.
Good luck,

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree. Be sure to stop-drill the cracks.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
The Stagecoach has had the same problem since the last owner (at least) and the RV dealership I use thinks they can replace the mechanism if they're allowed to pull them out. I'm a bit reluctant since I believe I read (here) they are not available any longer.

I ran into a problem last week during our trip to Durango that makes me want to switch over to electric if possible. When I say if possible, I mean a reasonable price. I'm sure it can be converted but at what cost? At the moment, they work fine and someone has already done the JB Weld trick but either did it wrong or they did not use the "stop-drill" method mentioned by Rusty. If it is too expensive, I'd be happy to have them fixed correctly and stick with the air operated "possessed" set-up.

By the way, this particular problem makes it difficult to steal the coach if they don't know the "airing up procedure" that Nick and I are familiar with.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
One other thought; my MCI had air actuated wipers as do many commercial buses. They are very likely to use similar or interchangeable motors. The best part is the availability. I would look in your area for a bus graveyard and go investigating.
Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
If electrical conversion is your decision, here's one good starting point:

http://www.amequipment.com/index.html

Their downloadable pdf catalog is a virtual encyclopedia of info regarding electrical wiper system specs, dimensions, applications, etc.

For my old P-30, I've found lots of wiper parts compatible with with Barth's OEM system. Go to:

http://www.rustrepair.com/app2/onlinecat.htm?r=ms&p=wi

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
www.nimcobus.com is a bus dismantler and sells all types of bus parts. So if you know and can find out the mfg and part number of your air motor, Nimco may be able to help you. I had converted a GM4106 bus back in the early 90s and bought a lot from them.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Nick, Anne and I are in Alaska at the present time. The previous owner of my coach had ordered parts from a trucking company in Rome Ga. We are flying home by wednesday and will look up the invoice for the parts. I have a rebuild kit for one side. Or if you will do a search, I think I had posted this info before.

Bill NY, if possible can we have a sticky on certain parts and supply and availability? Your help would be appreciated. sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
We stopped in at Rome Truck Parts in Rome Ga. on the way home in April. Took in the busted wiper and a few minutes later left with 2 new ones complete with blades. $136. complete with tax.
The folks there said we were the first walk-in customers they had seen this year. All there business is mail order. There are no signd to indicate who occupies there building and we had to phone and ask where they were to find the place.
Real great service and they know there stuff.
Don
www.rometruckparts.com
quote:
Originally posted by sky:
Nick, Anne and I are in Alaska at the present time. The previous owner of my coach had ordered parts from a trucking company in Rome Ga. We are flying home by wednesday and will look up the invoice for the parts. I have a rebuild kit for one side. Or if you will do a search, I think I had posted this info before.

Bill NY, if possible can we have a sticky on certain parts and supply and availability? Your help would be appreciated. sky

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sky:
Bill NY, if possible can we have a sticky on certain parts and supply and availability?
If you can direct me to certain posts that you would like to make important then let me know in a PM and I will link it to the picture in our tech talk area or make it a sticky.

Have you tried our image map yet in the "Tech Talk Area"? If you click on the wiper arms, several of these posts about wiper parts would have popped up.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
ALUMINUM CAN BE WELDED IN PLACE IF YOU CAN GET AT IT EASILY.JUST MAKE SURE IT IS GROUNDED CORECTLY
LENNY

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
[quote]To[/quot
I contacted Sprague Devices who made the air wiper systems and they can supply repair parts as well as sell new electric systems that fit. I put new gaskets in the old air systems and they seem to fix the problem. Having a nightmare with the jungle behind the dash I also noticed the air lines can get kinked after years of heat and cold and that affects the wipers considerably. You might check the lines first and if you still don't like the results call Sprague and see what they have.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, the original owner of my Regency had the air wipers switched out for electric units shortly after he bought the coach. They also work independently. Switching to electric pipers should not be a problem.

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post