Tools
Reply To This Topic

New LCD TV Installation
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Since I had to remove the 6 year old Sony CRT TV to swap out the reefers, I decided to replace it with LG 22" 22LF10.

But I wanted to be able to swing it out for viewing (the speakers are on the bottom) and access to the rear. So I made a bracket for the bracket out of some scap 3/4" plywood I had.

The plywood the bracket's fastened to is old TV platform from the coach.

The angle brackets on the side are to keep the bracket aligned.

The right side has a cutout so the bracket can fully retract.

I hinged the rear with a self-closing hinge, which pushes the bracket down, It's hinged so I can lift up the TV and put the front in a trough for safe stowage.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Rusty:
Super nice...........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Carl. I had thought I might finish it today, but puttering around the house and cleaning my #1 PC keyboard took precedence...somehow, I may have killed the keyboard...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Lookin' good Rusty! That probably took care of the need for a digital converter also.

I couldn't figger your comment about the need to remove the TV to get the frig in then I remembered that you have a front entry--DUH on my part!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ed. I replaced my DVD-VCR with a DVD recorder which has a digital tuner - handy. A major benefit of the LCD besides saving weight is that I can run the TV much longer on the inverter, as the power consumption is about 30% of the CRT TV.

Completed pre-fitting today and should finish tomorrow. I had to lower the extension bracket 1" allow the top of the wood bracket (cut off 1") to clear the ceiling when tilted.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
Although I mounted my 22" LCD stationary,I like the articulated arm idea but was concerned about the extra movement /vibration with the arm. Sounds like you may have solved that... Can you send some final installation pics... I guess I may have another project to add to my never ending Barth list.

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'll post the details as I progress. Lowering the TV actually solved a problem of what to use for a front fence - a piece of scrap aluminum 1"x1" angle will now work nicely. Some high-density foam (scrap) on the bottom of the angle will cushion the TV and relieve the strain on the brackets. Still haven't figured out what to do about the space at the top...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Final fitting before covering with uphjolstery was today.

The right trim plate was trimmed to fit, but the fabric hasn't been stretched and secured. Going after fabric for the main assembly tomorrow.

The TV's lower bezel is slightly convex,and the weight is resting on high-density foam behind the aluminum angle. Two other pieces will be inseted on the sides. The reason the angle doesn't go across the whole front of the TV is to provide finger holes to lift it up and out.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Nice looking set-up Rusty. Can't wait to check it out in December. One statement has me baffled though. You claim the LCD will use less power than the old tube TV, while everything I can find on the subject says LCD uses maybe 4-5 times the power while Plasma can use 12-24 times the power of an old style tube. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place or mis-interpreting findings, and most homeowners wouldn't care much one way or the other, but when it comes to running off the inverter it becomes an issue. Can you find some direct comparisons of a like- sized tube TV and LCD and-or Plasma?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't know of a direct comparison, but the old Sony was rated at 125W and the LG, 40W.

LCDs do use less power than plasmas and CRTs; CRTs need massive transformers and circuitry that consume power.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
NICE installation there Rusty, brings back some memories like when we did ours.....FYI, we also used the L shaped angle aluminum to hold in the front bottom.

Looks good, keep us posted when u r done.

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here's a view of the tucks and rolls in the bottom plate. Just visible to the right of the plate is the 5/8" fuel line I used as the bumpers for the edges of the bezel.

Finis!

I did have to move the keeper (the thing at the top center of the screen, which rotates to hold the TV in place when travelling) up an inch, as it interfered with the TV's coming out of the stowed position. I have some very good amplified 3" studio monitors which I may install.

I couldn't find vinyl to match the existing; I may redo someday with a contrasting fabric.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty,
Looks Great... I think you should go ahead and install the aplified studio speakers so I can scarf you design on that too. Smiler( My TV volume is very poor) Fixing that is also on my list.

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
does your lcd have a audio out in back of the set.and where is the fuse for the power antenna it looks like I have three in a box in the compartment were the hook ups are and they look like 7.5fuses
lenny
I AM A AU FULL ELECTRICIAN

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My TV has no audio out in the back. There is a headphone jack on the left side.

My wiring layout is not like a Regencies; anyway, the fuse for the antenna amplifier is in the dash.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke