Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Flooring Advice
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Kim and Dianne
posted
We have been looking at a Vinyl plank flooring product for the replacement of the carpet. This product is not glued down, but floats. Is that good or bad? Also, don't know how it would work on the steps. A laminate product may be a good solution?

Any advice?

Kim

1976 Barth 21'
HAM Call: AC7YY

Posts: 29 | Location: Centralia, Washington | Member Since: 07-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
We pulled up the carpet in the bath and the little hallway between the kitchen and the bedroom and tiled. We are going to replace carpet in the rest of the coach.

In doing the tile I used a silicon adhesive to glue the tile down and a grout without cement in it.

I know this didn't answer your question about lamenent flooring, but thought you might like other options for part of your coach.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Kim & Dianna: Send me your E-Mail address and I'll attempt to send you a set of pics of the floor of "THE TOY"..........

cflack27@frontiernet.net

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Carl

Email is ac7yy@amsat.org. I bought some vinyl plank flooring today, rip out the carpet except for the stairs. Tomorrow I plan on beginning the installation. I will post some photos when I complete my project.

I would love to see your photos.

Kim

1976 Barth 21'

Posts: 29 | Location: Centralia, Washington | Member Since: 07-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Some flooring is designed to float, for example the laminate I installed in my house a few years back, which floats on a backing of thin foam material that comes in rolls. I've also used laminate with a padded back that is not designed to be fastened.

IMHO, for an RV installation it would be wise to use material designed to be glued, nailed or stapled. Flying planks or pieces of laminate could ruin your entire day in a collision.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
We recently bought an '88 Regency and plan to do exactly the same thing...replace the old parquet flooring with floating "wood" laminate. We have this in our finished basement and it looks and wears great...water proof, tough and very wood-like. We have to tell people it isn't wood.

I will be interested to know how this goes for you, but I don't plan to do it myself.

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of RichieC
posted Hide Post
I broke from tradition and laid mine out side-to-side instead of lengthwise from front to back. It was a heck of a lot easier.
I used the left-overs from my g/f's house; installed the same way (floating, with the felt underlining and NOT glued down) as a resedential install would've been done. I did, however, use constuction adhesive to glue the quarter-round around the perimeter and nailed it in place.

Posts: 150 | Location: Nanaimo, B.C. | Member Since: 04-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Kim & Dianne: Tried to send pics to ac7yy@amsat.org....Screen said this is not a valid EiMail address.....Help!!!

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting indeed. Sorry for the difficulties. Try ac7yy@comcast.net

That should work ... silly redirectors

kim

1976 Barth 21'

posted Hide Post
The first project we did on the Breakaway was a laminate floor with radiant heat. We used the "maple-like" laminate from Ikea, which matched the light beech in the coach. I also did a radiant heat system for the front half of the coach, which keeps it nice and toasty at less than 2 amps draw. (I embedded the radiant heat system in that grout with adhesive.)

Posts: 1 | Location: Redmond, WA | Member Since: 11-04-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kim and Dianne:
We have been looking at a Vinyl plank flooring product for the replacement of the carpet. This product is not glued down, but floats. Is that good or bad? Also, don't know how it would work on the steps. A laminate product may be a good solution?

Any advice?

Well I ended up using a Vinyl plank flooring product. We are happy with it. I couldn't figure out how to do the steps ..... so I left them as is. Here are some pictures. Guess not, don't know how to attach more than one photo.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

kim

1976 Barth 21'

Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"rip out the carpet except for the stairs."

My stairs came with old-fashioned ribbed black rubber mat treads with metal (?) riser-faces. Looks good, wears well, is easy to clean, and keeps the carpet cleaner. (I intend someday to glue wood veneer on the faces.)

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/12
Picture of ZIM
posted Hide Post
hello mr gunner,

would you know where i may purchase the black rubber type mats that will fit nicely on the steps? and would u also know how they are attached to the steps?..i have tile on my steps which are very slippery as i use crutches and wheelchairs.
thanx in advance

ZIM

Posts: 61 | Location: Pennsylvania | Member Since: 06-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
would you know where i may purchase the black rubber type mats that will fit nicely on the steps
No, but an auto supply store (J. C. Whitney mail-order) should have it; or an industrial supply shop. Cut to fit and glue down.
PS: MY steps have ribs running left-to-right which is a safety feature, I guess.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post