Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

step lites
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted
I took out a step lite how in the "h" do you get them out. Took the one out on the step(in pieces now what do I do ) I can't put it together and is impossible to get apart without wrecking it.If they have replacements where do I get something that looks like them ?
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Radio Shack

#272 - 1092C

Those lights are kinda cheesy..

...consider replacing-them with something LED. It's an easy decission since the wires are already there. Will give-you much brighter light in your stairwell.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lenny and judy:
I took out a step lite how in the "h" do you get them out. Took the one out on the step(in pieces now what do I do ) I can't put it together and is impossible to get apart without wrecking it.If they have replacements where do I get something that looks like them ?
lenny

All Barths are different, but ours is a standard auto parts store license plate light. Just a chrome half dome.

I replaced the bulb with a 10W halogen that I soldered into a standard base, and it is really good. However, it will melt the lens if the door is left open long enough, like for loading or unloading. So, I installed a small metal strip that swings and holds the plunger in for when we are not actually living in it.

It never gets left open when we are camping, or the coyotes will get inside and eat the cat......... Or is it the cat will get out and get eaten......either way, the door is not left open.

Being a fiddler, I could not stop there, and noticed that the outside step could use a little more illumination. I considered raising the location of the OEM light so some of its beam would fall on the outside step. Further thought (about one cigar's worth) led to a strip of LEDs in the top of the door frame that come on with the step light. This, of course, involved running a wire or two up to the door header. This really does a good job of illuminating the outside step at night. The white anti skid tape on the edge of the step really catches the light.

I should add that the white tape also makes it easy to check your step in the mirror when driving away. My step is unreliable, and has to be checked. It has stayed out a couple of times. Frowner

The last picture does not show how well the outside step is illuminated, but it is really good. The LED strip is painted on its inside edge to avoid dazzle to anyone about to descend the steps. I will probably cut a piece of cherry to completely hide it. It's on my Twilight Zone list.

Couldn't stop there, so put in a lighted doorbell switch in the inside door frame so we could find the switch in the dark of night.

Had to use a 12 volt T1 bulb with a resistor to get it just right for the Light Queen.

Works pretty well.

This may sound like overkill, but I read that in southern AZ in the winter, the biggest Emergency Room business is snowbirds falling up or down their RV steps in the dark. And we camp where there is only starlight.

Plus, it's a hobby.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going with brite leds .I have the TORPEDO lites on the step and the isle lites they are for me impossible to get out even with a hair drier.Wires to short as with everything I know on the coach.
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I think these are the ones you have,l I also tried to "fix" or replace the lights with LED light.

I gave up and got these from a Marine store, not cheap but work very well, a bit larger then the units I took off, for now I used the sticky tape but will mount them more permanently with screws later. they can be had in white, blue or red. They are bright though, I will probably leave the stairwell full brightness but reduce the main aisle light quite a bit.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks guys went to superbrightleds.com
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

posted Hide Post
I ordered the tail lite bracket works well but I BROKE MY FUSE OR RELAY . I SHORTED OUT THE WIRES... It took out one spark and now I can not find the fuse or breaker.looked at the breaker box and put on the test lite .I do have electricity to the breaker but am now lost.Is there any body that can give me an explanation to me how this stuff works ,that will be at Hillsborough this week end? I hope so am so lost
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B