Tools
Reply To This Topic

Undercoating
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted
All,
I am considering undercoating my Barth. Has anyone used a product they are happy with? I'm guessing I will pressure wash w/degreaser, then Ospho for any rust and then the undercoating.
Any feedback/recommendations appreciated.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I think if I were to do this I would either do the pressure wash, phosphoric acid clean then wash with bicarb and aluminum paint or... have a soda blast then spray the paint. I would not do the asphalt undercoat.
Were I sure there was no exposure of wiring etc. I might opt for sandblasting with paint to follow. Locally there is a company I have used that does semi-trailers. The sandblasting and paint is excellent, quick and gives good protection.

Posts: 1067 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Up here in the land of salted roads and rusty metal about the only thing that works is an oil based rust inhibiting spray that creeps into seams and joints. The two most popular brands in this neck of the woods are Rust Chek and Krown.
Sanding/blasting, priming and painting all rusted parts are followed by a liberal coating of one of these dripless (relatively!) sprays. We repeat the process each year. It takes a lot of cans to do the underside of the Barth and 2 cars. I should find out where to buy the stuff in bulk and get a sprayer with a long extension like comes with weed sprayer.
This stuff is also a great way to lube the levelers and kwikee step.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
quote:
The two most popular brands in this neck of the woods are Rust Chek and Krown.

My coach is safe from the salt down here in Texas but lived much of it's former life north of the Mason Dixon and has driven through some salt it appears. I will probably have a semi-shop do as ccctimation mentioned.
Looks like our coaches are very similar.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara:
Up here in the land of salted roads and rusty metal about the only thing that works is an oil based rust inhibiting spray that creeps into seams and joints.
Don

Interesting. I did not post on this initially, as I thought my information could be old and perhaps out of date.

I have family in the upper midwest who buy LPS3 by the case. It runs in freely and sets up to stay there. Some just use waste oil on their trucks, but I'm sure the heavy metals involved could bring out a toxic spill SWAT team.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Some just use waste oil on their trucks, but I'm sure the heavy metals involved could bring out a toxic spill SWAT team.
Funny... This brought back a visualization... There use to be a saying about Detroit Diesel Engines. It went...

Buy your truck with a Detroit Diesel Dripper and get free undercoating. Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post