Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

carrying a motor bike
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Happy new year everyone, now down to business ,has anyone had experience with mounting some simple kind of rack, front or rear or both that would carry up to a 500 lb motor bike? I have 28 ft. breakaway with the 190 hp 5.9 4sp trans also is coach. net a good outfit for help on the road as I will soon be heading down I75 to north Florida for a month or 2. Thanks Paul Finley

Posts: 87 | Location: fenelon falls ont. | Member Since: 06-27-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Not on the Barth, but we carried a 250cc Honda scooter on the front of our bus for many years. Made a drive up ramp and locked it down.

Have thought of doing the same to the Barth, but can't talk the boss into getting another 2 wheeler. But if I could I would mount it on the front again. Enough weight in the back wagging the dog.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1186 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
After a few trips in the 33 ft Barth with 454 V8 it became obvious that pulling a toad car, even a small one, is not practical. The 454 has all it can do to drag the coach around, let alone a toad. deadhorse

I realized the next best option for local transportation would be a motorcycle. A frame mounted bike rack would be nice but I'm not strong enough to load/unload anything of size and engineering the rack could be a major project.

I just bought a 1982 500 cc Honda Silver Wing road bike from a friend who wanted to get rid of it. It is a great road ride, but weighs about 450 lbs. Since I also have a small trailer I decided to adapt the trailer to haul the cycle behind Barth. The weight of cycle and trailer is still way less than any other toad.

A trailer is less maneuverable than a rack mount but this should be light enough to move around by hand even with the cycle on it.

I just finished going over the cycle (it is really in great shape and runs perfectly now) I will next adapt the trailer. I plan for a loading ramp and guide rails on the trailer bed to keep the wheels centered. I'll post what I do when I get to it!

I am interested how others tackle the cycle thing, keep us posted! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd not mount a rack on the rear, because of the short wheelbase and proportionally large overhang on the 28'. The PO of mine had installed a trailer hitch receiver on the front and carried bicycles; IMHO, that's the best place for a rack.

But weigh your coach; fully loaded, mine's ~5400 lbs. on the front axle, leaving plenty of reserve.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Steve, Harbor Freight has various things you might find useful for the project.
I had considered a VersaHaul or Tilt-a-Rack.
http://www.tilt-a-rack.com/tilt-a-rack-610acr/
But, I lack the confidence and/or brute strength to load and unload a 500cc maxi-scooter that way.
I think I am MUCH better off with the Aluma MC1F (or MC10) trailer.

I have ridden the old 500cc and 650cc Honda transverse V twins. The former lacked adequate power (except the turbo derivative), but was rugged as a Barth. They were available with a clever reconfigurable seat. In place of the pillion, you could have a storage box that was a lot like the more contemporary "Smuggler" by Corbin.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I am definitely going the trailer route.

I agree concerning the 500 twin. A bit heavy and not especially powerful (as motorcycles go... it will still do 100 mph and beat about any car on the road!) They must be made pretty well, many have 40 or 50 thousand miles and more, going strong. Smooth, quiet, shaft drive, water cooled.

My old favorite was my 1971 650 Yamaha twin. Chain drive, vertical twin (vibration!), rasty pipes, semi cafe style. It was narrow and you could lean it into a turn waaay over. (It weighed about 75 lbs less than the 500 with about 15 more hp!) Fun to ride. I put about 15,000 miles on it during the 70's, haven't owned a cycle since.

Got hit twice by little old old ladies who "never even saw me."
One ran a stop sign, hit the cycle from the side (I actually jumped over her car to avoid it!) The other hit me from behind while I was stopped at a red light! (OK, maybe you didn't see me but what about the red light?)

Hopefully I will be able to continue defensive driving this cycle. Rode it twice before winter hit, brings back mostly good memories.

I may look for the cargo deck for the back seat to haul groceries, etc. I'll bring it to Florida in March and the GTG in June.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Paul, being somewhat senile, I thought your Breakaway was 30'. Not that it makes much difference though. I would not mount a rack on the front since that's where your generator is. The extra weight in the back would also be problematical. I would go the trailer route. We bought one for our 28' Regal and towing the 96 Cavalier is very easy. We don't even know it's back there.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
I've dragged my 1988 KZP1000 around for 6000 miles, first on a an open cycle trailer and now in a small enclosed cargo trailer. The bike weights about 650 lbs. When I had the cycle trailer I didn't know it was behind the Barth. It was a snap to move the trailer around with the bike loaded if needed. I miss that trailer but needed a bit more storage so I went with the cargo trailer.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
My current trailer is a 4 x 8 bed with about 18 inch sides. I could put the cycle in and some other stuff in the box if I want. I like the idea of easy moving by hand, to ease hookup and to allow quick disconnect for backing, etc.

It looks like your trailer setup worked well, I'm eager to try it.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
ALUMA MC trailer (with added diamond tread stone shield and DeeZee/TSC tool boxes) carrying my scooter

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
we have been carrying a Honda Ruckus 250cc. scooter on the front of our Breakaway for a number of years now with no problems. Made 2 receiver brackets that attached using existing bumper mounts. Auto trans allows me to fire up scooter and drive up ramp while standing beside it. Gravity unloads it.

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11

Picture of Micha
posted Hide Post
I carried a BMW R1100RT at 650lbs on a rear rack(150lbs)(loading and unloading with the rack mounted winch) on a Breakaway 30’ (28’ is a different geometry) for over 5000 mi. without any adverse effect, while maybe not ideal as weight repartition, driving was not different: high wind, rough road (at slower speed), no tail wagging, ... I have added rear airbags to compensate for the additional weight on the rear axle, but I didn’t had it weighed to see the weight per axles, too late now, sold the BMW. ( Nice rack for sale....)

Posts: 41 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Member Since: 04-03-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
It looks like the rack is a lift type? Tooling Along

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11

Picture of Micha
posted Hide Post
Yes, lifting with a 2000lbs rack mounted winch; lifts at an angle to be as close as possible to rear of Barth. Homemade, could not find the ideal one.

Posts: 41 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Member Since: 04-03-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post