Tools
Reply To This Topic

dim headlights
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I solved my dim light problem when I realized that the dim lights are those two round things under my eye lids. Stopped driving at night a few years ago. But still enjoy 'other' night time activities.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
I lent the Barth to my brother for hunting camp...when it comes home I will get the model number on the lights. The guy at Auto Zone said that they were the brightest lights that would fit into this size enclosure so I trusted they were. They were about 20 bucks a piece and the word Silverstar does rings a bell. I agree with Bill that there is no advantage to the Blue dim glare as opposed to the white dim glare, and I could'nt care less as long as I can see the damn road at night!
ps...God love ya Jim I did'nt know you were a drinker! lol

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kris & Tina Jones:
The guy at Auto Zone said that they were the brightest lights that would fit into this size enclosure so I trusted they were. They were about 20 bucks a piece and the word Silverstar does rings a bell.

It sounds like you have the Sylvania Silverstar sealed beam units. They are an improvement, and are quick and easy.

If they are not enough, the best way to go is to use heavy wires, relays and European H4 units for the outside units and H1 units for the inside, high beam only lights. If you don't use high beams a lot, you can save some money and just do the outside ones.

Avoid lights from India or China. I have seen some abysmal examples. Some sellers try to hide the origin of their products.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
Sounds good Bill...thanks a lot. Ya know my high beams seem to work just fine but I will probably do both once I have it all apart.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The European H4 outboard lights have really good low beams. They are bright with a sharp cutoff that rises at the right to allow a better view of what is on the shoulder. To see that deer that is deciding whether to cross the road or not, for example. Or a sign or a pedestrian.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
On the subject of headlights, when we first got our 97 Monarch I did a lot of searching to find out that the headlight units are from a 90s full size Bronco. The tailights are from a similar era full size pickup. This might be helpful for replacement needs or to upgrade.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I really have to emphasize that you must get full battery voltage at the lamp or anything you put there will not help. Less then 11 volts will not produce adequate light.

The high beams work well because they have a relay directly to the battery buss.

As I mentioned and as Bill has said, Euro H4 are really good, I also have H1 for the high beams

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Hi y'all.
'92 Breakaway - 4 headlight (4X6 bulbs) system
Alternative to rewiring/relays that should be considered:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371691...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

(Truck-Lite 27640C Rectangular LED 4" X 6" Headlight Low Beam Light Pair. $350 for pair on ebay)

Dash headlight switch would get so "hot" that could not grasp. Installed these and switch merely warm. Good alternative for those intimataded with wiring. (DOT approved) Much! brighter.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post