Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

shocks
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted
looking for shock recommendations would love Koni but are a bit pricey haven't read much good about Bilstien What about Monroe or KYB ? Any Thought!!! Thanks Richard

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 296 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Do a search on this site for Bilstein shocks. There's a lot of posts, most of which are favorable

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
There was a shock test done recently in either MotorHome, or FMCA magazine recently & I will try to find it & copy it too you. Do you get either of these?
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Richard, Upgrading to Bilsteins from worn-out Monroes was my first project....Six years and 25k miles later, I'm still very pleased...One of my better investments. Older P-32's need to have top-rear shock mounts reinforced (basically a weld bead around stud). Printed instructions for this mod came in the box, plus my installer had a been-there-done-that familiarity with the issue. I've read some Bil-Bashing on other RV sites over the years, but have never personally experienced those issues (harsh ride, rebound, etc).
Then again, I installed Firestone load-leveler airbags on the rear at the same time as the shock-swap, so
maybe they mask or correct some of the perceived problems by others. At one time, an RV assembler used to advertise Bilsteins on Ebay with less than 100 miles on them. Apparantly, chassis came from Workhorse that way and were swapped-out for Konis at the coach plant. Ya lose the lifetime warranty 'cause they're "used" shocks, but the price was unbeatable. That's the route I took.....worked out fine for me.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I found the article & will email it to you. If anyone wants a copy I will PM it to you but due to copyright issues I won't post here.

MotorHome May 2009 issue "TESTING AFTERMARKET SHOCK ABSORBERS"

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Bilstein fan here.

The MH before this one was a typical P30, with the lighter chassis with 16 inch wheels. It handled horribly. Bilsteins all the way around and a Bilstein steering damper made it much more stable. I did not notice any difference in ride.

Present Barth got Bilsteins as soon as I got it home. Not as big an improvement, as it was a heavier chassis and had a tag axle, but they still helped.

Our pickup is a Chevy 2500HD, the high GVW version, with really stiff suspension. Changing to Bilsteins improved the ride tremendously, especially when empty. They took most of the jar out of bad road driving. Actually, almost any road that was not newly surfaced felt bad before.

I put Bilsteins on a heavy tow car. The suspension was beefed up pretty well. A few years later, being a fiddler, I went to Konis because they are adjustable. I saw little, if any improvement. Even the adjustability seemed to be of little benefit, unlike my positive experiences with Koni on lighter cars. In fairness to Koni, one does not drive a big sedan with a heavy boat behind at shock-testing speeds.

The lifetime warranty is pretty neat, too.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
BTW we just put bilsteins on ours & are very satisfied.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
I went with Bilsteins and a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer up front.

On the back, I went with the Firestone air-bags, primarily because my rear was sagging. ;-)

For rear shocks, I went with Gabriel gas shocks, for reasons of economy, and then not having to worry about the welding needed to be done to work with the Bilsteins.

All of the above items were found on Ebay, and at times I'd wait to find the price I'd wanted.

Happy Motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
my ride is grate 90 lbs in tires and air bags over front springs for me are the
'bees knees" if you saw a certain commercial ,I like what I have Bilstine shocks and Stear stabilizer.they are 8 years old and have 40,000 miles on them
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post