Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

starting from scratch
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of bookmobile
posted
After getting the 1986 bookmobile home (the transmission cooked), I have begun what should be a fun and enjoyable 3-5 year project. I have removed all the shelving and cabinetry and torn out the carpeting. Starting from here, where would you begin? I want to end up with a nice self-contained home on wheels. If you could re-design anything at all on a Barth, what would it be? What floor plan would be most practical? Having been a bookmobile, this has no holding tanks or plumbing. Where should I begin? I am not in a big hurry- I like projects. I want your opinions based on your experience. Thanks,
Neal

Posts: 13 | Location: Handy, Indiana | Member Since: 08-26-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bookmobile
posted Hide Post
I thought I resized the pic. I tried the barth photo bucket upload, but the pics never showed up. Sorry.
Neal

Posts: 13 | Location: Handy, Indiana | Member Since: 08-26-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Windows and your camera's software should have provisions to resize.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
The folks who go to the GTG in Indiana say that Elkart is loaded with surplus stores for RV parts. You could probably pick up whatever you need a lot cheaper there than a mail-order house. A big advantage you have is flexibility in sizes, since you'll be building the coach around what you get. Good luck and keep us up on your progress.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Wow, talk about a blank slate!

You could go retro 70's with wood paneling and shag carpet (groovy, man)

Maybe the 80's... disco and mirrors?

90's? sterile white interiors with oak trim?

So many choices! Maybe the Vegas look of the high end coaches... recessed lighting, chrome and glass, granite counters?

I'd go with rustic knotty pine and a woodstove with a sun deck on top! (Don't need no tanks... get a shed, dig a hole...) Thumbs Up ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I have a dinette in my motorhome (1975 Barth), it is uncomfortable but I can't remove it because my fresh water tank is underneath. Except for this I think I have a very practical floor plan but every one has different likes and needs.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/7523996277

This is a link to our former coach, a 1989 25ft. The PO custom ordered it with a floorplan from 1978 (his favorite Barth). It is open qnd spacious, both couches make a bed. Disadvantage: no permanent bed.
Fresh water tank is under the closet in the rear left corner.

How about an incinerator toilet?

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Let function dictate form. Do you want a best "tailgating rig", or a great "tour every National Park rig", or something you will park at the lake and visit on weekends. How many people will be sleeping in this, 0 to 8? And while you have the floor out, consider building a hatch to give you access to the top fuel line attachment area of the fuel tank. You will want something that will seal the floor securely.

Having the wastewater tank on the driver side seems more typical.

Get a really good driver seat!

Happy Motoring,
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Elkart is loaded with surplus

So is Bontrager's, just across the state line (in the bottom of the mitten).

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
On our recce trip to Elkhart we found the prices higher than what is available in marine and RV companies, and the best deals were no online. Pick your bath location first , center, rear, driver side or curb side. Then put the black tank under the toilet. The gray water should be between the kitchen and bath to minimize plumbing runs. our water heater is under the sink - bad idea because if you need to service it it is a full day job. Put it under a closet with removable floors or a bottom drawer that can be removed for access. Then strip the entire interior and start by locating the windows and fill everything else with good insulation and PVC tubes for your wiring. Then checkout the forums here and see what some of the members have accmp,ished. Most are great and not bank breakers.
Best wishes,

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bookmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:

How about an incinerator toilet?

Yikes! Priced outside of my budget. Pretty cool, nonetheless.
Neal

Picture of bookmobile
posted Hide Post
Very helpful. Thank you. I have three kids, but could get by with sleeping for 3 or 4. I would love to drive it into the sunset and then some. Alaska maybe?
Neal
quote:
Originally posted by BarthBluesmobile:
Let function dictate form. Do you want a best "tailgating rig", or a great "tour every National Park rig", or something you will park at the lake and visit on weekends. How many people will be sleeping in this, 0 to 8? And while you have the floor out, consider building a hatch to give you access to the top fuel line attachment area of the fuel tank. You will want something that will seal the floor securely.

Having the wastewater tank on the driver side seems more typical.

Get a really good driver seat!

Happy Motoring,
Matt

Picture of bookmobile
posted Hide Post
Good ideas. Thanks. I will be looking for some windows right away. I will be reading the forum posts as I go.
Neal
quote:
Originally posted by Tom and Julie:
On our recce trip to Elkhart we found the prices higher than what is available in marine and RV companies, and the best deals were no online. Pick your bath location first , center, rear, driver side or curb side. Then put the black tank under the toilet. The gray water should be between the kitchen and bath to minimize plumbing runs. our water heater is under the sink - bad idea because if you need to service it it is a full day job. Put it under a closet with removable floors or a bottom drawer that can be removed for access. Then strip the entire interior and start by locating the windows and fill everything else with good insulation and PVC tubes for your wiring. Then checkout the forums here and see what some of the members have accmp,ished. Most are great and not bank breakers.
Best wishes,

Picture of bookmobile
posted Hide Post
A few questions here. I made some progress after work today- I borrowed two Optima blue tops from my 1963 Superior school bus and installed them in the Barth as coach batteries. I am pretty sure I can fit a third in the tray along with the chassis battery. I will install a 100 watt solar panel to charge them when not connected to shore power or running the generator or the engine. I also plugged the shore power in and checked everything- A/C cold, heat warm, lights bright, converter converting, etc. Questions are as follows-
1- What activates the electric fuel pump on the Onan 6.5 KW genny?
2- When plugged into shore power, is there anything charging the coach batteries?
3- Should there be some kind of electric water pump between the engine and the rearward heater?
Thanks for your very helpful help with this project!
Neal