Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Transmission Identification
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Boonton Jim
posted
I have a 25' 1985 Regal with a GM 454. I assume I have the Turbo 400 transmission. Can someone confirm this for me or tell me how I can identify the transmission? Thanks for your help.

1985 25' Regal 454

Posts: 59 | Location: Boonton, NJ | Member Since: 09-26-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
It is almost certainly a TH400 variant. Actually, many motorhomes have the 475 version which is identical externally but has stronger straight cut gears rather than the standard angular gears in the TH400.

You can tell by the shape of the oil pan. Here's a posting on that.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/5943946077

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
here some info on turbo hydromatic

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Steve, I read your post with pics about the installation of the new oil temp sending unit. Are you saying that if my oil pan looks like yours, its a 475? I'll take pics and post
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The shape of the oil pan will show if it is a TH350 or 400. (I don't think they put 350s in motorhomes but maybe in the class C ones...)

Unfortunately, it is impossible to tell from the outside if the TH400 has the straight cut planetary gears. If they were installed in the heavy duty TH400 transmissions they are sometimes referred to as the 475 model (or 3L80HD)

You might be able confirm this with a serial# and the right wizard at Hydramatic, otherwise a teardown is the only way. Chances are, the Pee chassis had the 475 from the factory, if you have the original tranny.

At rebuild time any good trans shop can put in the HD gears into any TH400 to beef it up.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:

Unfortunately, it is impossible to tell from the outside if the TH400 has the straight cut planetary gears. If they were installed in the heavy duty TH400 transmissions they are sometimes referred to as the 475 model (or 3L80HD)

You might be able confirm this with a serial# and the right wizard at Hydramatic, otherwise a teardown is the only way. Chances are, the Pee chassis had the 475 from the factory, if you have the original tranny.

At rebuild time any good trans shop can put in the HD gears into any TH400 to beef it up.

I believe the brake on the tailshaft indicates straight cut gears. The few I have broken down were that way. I have not broken down a P30 tranny without the drum brake, so not sure on that.

You can hear them, too.

My understanding is that the straight cut gears were to address an end thrust issue, not a strength issue. Many, many beefed-up TH400s use the helical gears with no problems. They use a roller bearing to take the hi torque end thrust.

Jake's Performance, for example, uses billet input shaft, forward hub, intermediate shaft, 36 element sprag super drum, Griner transbrake, deep pan, 6 clutch direct, 5 clutch forward, 4 clutch intermediate, rollerized, but still uses helical gears.

Jake says straight cut gears are in fact weaker than helical and don't lubricate as well. They use them only in very heavy applications where we want to eliminate thrust loading from the helical gears.

His opinion is shared by many other builders, including my guy.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
posted this on another question~~~~

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/...nd-swap-guide-thread

read down---it gets into some depth

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post