Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Great Idea Dave, I'll get the ball rolling.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Great Idea Dave, I'll get the ball rolling.
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
Just spotted the new forum idea so here's my latest improvement.
http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/8591071722

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I agree, great idea Bob, Jan and Dave. Will be posting all the stuff (a lot) that I have done in the near future.

Thanks for your constant attention and thoughts to the needs of the community!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Great idea!

I can't take credit for many of the improvements, but there are several Conrad Bennett made before I bought the coach:

1. Inverter to run the reefer off the coach batteries underway. Conrad installed a pair of DPDT relays that route 120VAC when available directly to the reefer; when 120VAC is disconnected, the relays route 12VDC to the inverter and 120VAC from it to the reefer.

2. Inverter in the center console to run the laptop 120VAC power supply from the coach batteries.

3. Brace arrangement to fix the fold-down table in the raised position - without the leg extended - handy with the Eurolounger.

4. I replaced the differential (Dana 80) cover with an aluminum one of larger capacity and cooling fins from Mag-Hytec; also installed a new Mag-Hytec transmission pan with more capacity on the 4L80E.

5. The oil cooler for the old engine was in the radiator core. The new engine had larger passages, so I plugged the radiator fittings and mounted an oil cooler alongside the engine and installed a cooling fan on it. Power is provided by a relay closed by the IGN circuit. Eventually, I'll put a thermostat on it, as I think it gets quite a bit of airflow when running. This probably applies only to 6.5L TDs, of which there are few in Barth's.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. Inverter to run the reefer off the coach batteries underway. Conrad installed a pair of DPDT relays that route 120VAC when available directly to the reefer; when 120VAC is disconnected, the relays route 12VDC to the inverter and 120VAC from it to the reefer.

Rusty,
I've been thinking about this for awhile. Do you have any diagrams showing how this was done?

Thanks,
Ronnie

1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Conrad was good about recording what he dis, and I think he made a diagram; if he didn't, I'll make one up and post it here before too long.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
What I did was to install a receptcle that I could plug in the "shore power" plug and that has inverter power during the time I am driving down the road or sitting, just needed to turn on the inverter.

So when I get ready to move on, I pull the "shore power" plug from the outside world and plug into the receptacle inside the power cabinet. I turn on the inverter and I have 120 VAC to the entire coach. If I start the generator it will switch over and run the coach from the generator. The only thing I had to do special was to add a switch to turn off the battery charger, don't want the batteries to recharge themselves, haven't quite gotten the perpetual motion machine completed yet!! :+)

Works very well and I can run any 120VAC appliance, lights, or use any outlet in the coach including the microwave (but not the A/C) from the coach batteries. Microwave is a little slower but still works well and have gone three days between charges, BUT I have 4 T-105 batteries.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashnyellow:
quote:

Rusty,
I've been thinking about this for awhile. Do you have any diagrams showing how this was done?

Thanks,
Ronnie

Well, the inverter fried on my trip to Ohio (Didn't matter, because the engine A/C was out of gas - again - so had to use the generator). So I had a chance to trace the circuti (to make sure the inverter had done itself in, rather than succumbing to an outside cause).

There are two Radio Shack 217-275 AC relays. One switches 120VAC between the inverter and shore power by directing power to the reefer from either the normal outlet or the inverter - i.e., there are two power cords to the reefer, and the relay selects. The NC contacts are for the inverter cord. When shore power is applied, the relay closes the NO contacts, and the standard outlet supplies.

The other relay is wired in series with the inverter on-off switch. NC closes the circuit so the inverter powers up if its switch is on. With shore power, the relay opens that circuit and shuts off the inverter.

Both relays are housed in the back of a very deep double duplex outlet box in the outside access for the reefer. One duplex outlet powers the reefer's OEM plug, and the other powers the electric H/W heater element. This is more convenient than splitting a single duplex, as the double box has a lot more room.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke