Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Finally got my headers.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Finally got my headers.
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
Suzie and I went over to RP's and picked up the headers that he had for our coach. Great to visit with Richard again but the trip across I 4 was horrible. Anyway, we got them home and I'm currently looking for someone to install them and fab up a complete dually with crossover 2 1/2" system with some mellow mufflers .

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
When you install the headers do not install a crossover pipe. Doing that creates a path for the exhaust pressure wave to be reflected back into the header before the gasses can exit the system. When #1 fires in the right bank it has two cylinders fire before it has another event (#8 and #4 before #3). The length of the exhaust pipes and the distance from exhaust port to collector create a low pressure area at the outlet which evacuates the cylinder. If an immediate pressure wave is reflected back into the header it increases back pressure on the exhaust valve and defeats the whole process of helping the engine breathe. Normally the exhaust pipes are calculated to be of a precise length so the low pressure part of the wave is at the outlet. They would be of equal length and exit either on opposite sides of the vehicle or run parallel out the back. Exhaust system design is available on line or in racing manuals. It is not as simple as making pipes bigger. The exhaust pressure wave is much more important.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Be sure to insulate and/or ventilate the starter from the exhaust heat. My '77 had headers and poor ventilation around the starter. I replaced a few starters before I smartened up by installing a heat shield and small electric fan.
I think this is addressed somewhere in one of the forums.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
That's one good looking set of headers. Looks like some modification and welding will be required to fit them. Do you weld or will you have them installed?

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Those look sweet Danny. I had those on the 86. Originally 2 into 1 exhaust driver side.

Later I ran dual exhaust, both sides had two open mufflers back to back. Ran better, sounded great. I did not bother with a cross over.

Some comments by Bill h too.

See here: https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...061/m/5023993377/p/1

I later completed the other side so both were stainless from muffler back.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I had Thorleys on Old Blue. I was going to wrap them with header wrap but Thorley said no, no. Would cause them to rust and void the warranty. The Thorleys plus Nology Hot Wires and plugs, plus a rebuilt quadrajet gave us 10+ mpg at a steady 60mph.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Tri-Y's. Good choice.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Finally got the Barth up to the exhaust shop yesterday. A combination of poverty and a finicky distributer delayed the conversion for a while, but both situations have been remedied so I'll have the new pipes for Talladega. On the run up to Sarasota she ran better than ever, so I'm really excited to see and hear what a 2 1/2 inch system with Turbo mufflers will be like. Hoping to get her back tomorrow and I'll post some pix if FB lets me.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Gonna be a little longer at the shop. The drivers side header won't clear the shift linkage, and the only option is to cut it and reweld it to fit. More $$$ but I don't have a choice, so there will be a section of header with no coating.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
posted Hide Post
Hey Danny, I had the same issue with my Barth going to the tri- wye's.
I was in a hurry so I installed a floor rachat shifter.

I hope to adapt a cable to the colum shifter in the future.

Three Times A Charm
88 30' Regal John Deere
Hot Rod Lincoln
511 Cubic Inches
8712-3499-30J-A

Posts: 220 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. | Member Since: 03-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Picked up the Barth from the muffler shop yesterday. The mufflers are perfect, nice a quiet except when I put my foot in it, then a healthy roar. Getting on the E-way I stepped on it pretty hard. As soon as we hit the lanes the guy behind me swung out to pass, and then just tucked back in behind me! Talked to Steve VW last night to get some starter info. Ordering the mini starter today, then a new set of plug wires and she should be good to go.

79 Barth Classic

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Brought the Barth back to the muffler shop to replace the muffler that detonated in Georgia last month. After a ton of working to get rid of the sloppy running it still misses when cruising at 65 [3000rpm]. The muffler guy is an old vehicle nut and accepts nothing but perfection on the old classics, so he talked me into bringing it to his buddy's shop for a look at the distributor and carb. He also said the engine mounts and tranny mount are all cracked and need to be replaced asap, which his buddy's shop is not set up for, so I'll have to see if the local Pit Stop can handle that. The only other issues are a leaky seal in the front of the pumpkin and leaky valve cover gaskets. I know getting all these things fixed won't be cheap, but I have no payments and will have a fine dependable coach when it's done.

79 Barth Classic

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Going to pick up the coach today. The wrench said the old distributor was shot, with nothing working to advance the timing. He put in a new one and my exhaust man put in the new muffler, and they think it's running perfect. I'll find out when I get it to the interstate and cruise at 65. I'm just glad I got it fixed before the GTG next weekend.