Tools
Reply To This Topic

StaRV II Gets a Real Tranny
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yep. The TC was bad, and its carcass parts spread throughout the tranny. I probably could have gotten by with replacing the TC and input shaft and flushing the tranny, but I don't believe in "half-vast" solutions when the complete fix is at hand.

Actually it wasn't to combat an engine and tranny that was running too warm - those were symptoms that I assessed as being TC-related. They were. All is well now.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep. The TC was bad, and its carcass parts spread throughout the tranny.

Rusty,

Do you believe the torque converter took out all the previous transmissions too? What destructs inside a TC anyway? Is there a way to advert this happening?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The GM TCs were pretty flimsy; I had the tranny rebuilt by a local guy, and he did a great job, but used an off-the-shelf TC. The housing was stamped and the fins basically press-fit into the stamping. They couldn't stand up to the stresses imposed by towing or a motorhome.

The late Joe Webb, along with a friend, recognized that the basic 4L80E tranny was very robust, but the stock TC was garbage, and its failures were destroying otherwise fine trannies.

He had the TC housings machined, and welded the fins of the TC. Additionally, he replaced the cast input shaft with a billet-machined one.

The stock 4L80E can handle 450 lb.ft. of torque. His rebuilds are good for 1,000+, mostly due to the re-engineered TC and new robust aftermarket tranny clutches.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Rusty when I bought my current truck new, I took it to a fellow and he took the transmission apart and put new gears and such and more clutch plates and shift kits when the truck had 5000 miles on it. There was nothing wrong with the transmission, I was just hot rodding it. It is hard to believe the difference. It will now spin both rear wheel for about 250 ft and cover the truck with smoke. 2002 ford psd. Brian is great on the ford tranny. sky

Brian's Shop

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
~1200 miles, and fuel economy is 11.5 mpg, up from 10.5 with the AMG engine/stock 4L80E, which raised economy from 9.2 with the OEM engine and stock tranny.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke