Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Cherry Cabinets-Matching Stain?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cherry Cabinets-Matching Stain?
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
Has anyone stained new cherry wood to match the original Barth cabinetry? I am having trouble finding a good match.

Mine seems pretty golden for cherry, but it could be from the old varnish yellowing.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Take a door down to you local home improvement center and have them do a color match. Then you need to find a good wood. Birch would be good, or alder, or beech. You don't want cherry as it gets darker as the years go by

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I am looking for the same thing but mine appears to be whitewashed Oak. I did take mine down to the local store and got what we all thought matched but it wasn't even close after I applied it to new Oak Tried red Oak and white Oak but still not close.

And still looking!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I had no luck at either Lowe's or HD. The help there was no help. They basically helped me look at published color charts, and their line and stock was limited.

I have been looking at stains from General Finishes. They seem to have several that could work, but are not carried by home or paint stores. The problem is that the nearby stores each carries a spotty selection. I have not found any one store that carries all of the possibilities.

I used to go to a paint store where the owner could mix any stain to a perfect match if he had your wood. Alas, he is gone, and no one else there does that.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post