Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Aftermarket levelers.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Aftermarket levelers.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I routinely will jack the front of the coach up until the front wheels are well off the ground I seek ground where I can jack up the front if not level. NEVER jack the rear off the ground!!!!!

I NEVER jack the rear up so any rear wheel looses contact with the ground. My park brake is on the trans and so if I lift any rear off the ground,. I have effectively lost any parking brake effect.

My jacks swing down and will not prevent the coach from moving if the grade is steep and parking brake command is lost by loosing wheel ground contact.

I have no fear about the front being off the ground. if the system fails and the jacks were to fail, they would not "drop" but merely settle. I might have to be "creative"to get them to retract but it isn't going to be a big issue to deal with.

I agree with Larry, using the jacks sure is better when someone is walking around inside.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Like Ed, I have no problem lifting the front end off the ground. If I have to do the rear, I find some good blocking for the front wheels.

From another thread, I see no good reason for jack stands if you already have leveling jacks.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
How's this for level?

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Re pic of the Dolphin jacked up. Honestly, I've seen motor homes jacked up in campgrounds with the front end 3' or more off the ground Eeker
Jim

WOW!

I raised our Barth less than that to drop and remove the engine/trans. Front bumper 30" AGL, as I recall.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Raincatcher, that's one pretty Barth.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I'm sure glad our coach has levelers(jacks). It affords the room to keep my oversize stomach from polishinging the undercarrage.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
I bought a Haldex 12 volt hydraulic unit (no valving) on eBay for $239.00 free shipping, and used that unit to replace my worn out HWH pump. The unit works great however I had to fabricate a additional tank to hold the 5 quarts of oil required. The Haldex only had a 3 quart reservoir.

So I know pumps are available but not sure about the cylinders.

I love the hydraulic leveling system, other campers drool when I use my leveling system. Ahh the joys of owning a Barth!

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
There are several manufacturers of electric levelers for class a motor homes. Atwood, Big Foot, Power Gear, Power Plus. Unfortunately, they are expensive, in the $2300/$3500 range, depending on what kind of controls you use. HWH will install a new hydraulic system at their factory in Iowa for $3700. What we are looking at is manually operated scissors jacks rated at 6000# each and 4" square manually operated post jacks.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Still on the search for a leveling system. HWH will install them for $3752 plus 7% sales tax. It's about a 10 hour drive from Knoxville. So, called Camping World. Same system, installed at their Knoxville shop, $6400. Wow!
I'm leery of the scissors jacks because the manufacturers say they're not to be used for leveling motor homes. Also, at this rate, the more practical thing to do is just put up with it, or buy a Barth that has jacks from the factory.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B