Reply To This Topic

Poor Man's Double-Glazed Windows
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Fogging not a problem!

After the issues last year with the temps below 0F, (I could feel the draft even without the wind) and high winds sneaking past the window seals, I cut bubble insulation to fit all the windows:

And the Fantastic Fan openings. I had already installed shades, and they hold the piece in place to insulate that opening.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Reflectix is really good stuff. We use it, too. Even in summer to control sun heating. In winter, we put Saran Wrap inside over the window first to help seal air leakage, then the bubble foil, which is cut just enough oversize to stay in. Unfortunately, it shrinks over time.

We don't have shades on the ceiling vents, but press a snug 2 inch thick square block of foam in the ceiling vent holes.

When I RV'd for skiing, I would stick some heat shrink film on the outside with double faced tape and shrink it lightly. Then use the Reflectix inside. So far, we haven't been cold enough in the Barth to need that, since the Saran Wrap seals the air leakage pretty well.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I checked the temps; the inside aluminum frame is 46.5°F, inside bubble 71.6°F, glass 34.6°F, and OAT, 33.4°F.

The stuff is doing the job with 2 little space heaters - one 1000W, the other set at 1200W! One has shut off at its set temp.

Yesterday at Manchester, the temp got down to 35°F, and the temp inside was 64°F. Tonight, 75.8°F and the heaters periodically shut off. Big improvement for $60.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I checked the temps; the inside aluminum frame is 46.5°F, inside bubble 71.6°F, glass 34.6°F, and OAT, 33.4°F.

Those figures make me think that some insulation on the metal frames would be worth looking at. Shrink film stuck to the inside with double-faced foam would address both glass and frame, but would make the Reflectix difficult.

Perhaps some foam tape. Maybe there is a flat self-adhesive weatherstrip that will pass the Susan test. We had some nifty stuff at the airline.

Perhaps a second, larger layer of Reflectix, overlapping the frame metal. That would be slightly larger to store, but would install as simply.

Hmmm............I wonder how a boxed valance or three-sided lambrequin would do. I have always admired them but never thought of the insulation value until now.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
In addition to the bubble thingies, I have, because I'm an astronomer, heavy vinyl blackout curtains for all the windows that wrap around the frames/valances. They did a decent job last year, but "more is better", as the bulk of the heat transfer was from the glass, and this has been minimized. The blackout curtains are yet another layer. When I park at my sister's, they will be put up.

Supposed to get down to 10°F Weds at my destination. It'll be "interesting" to see if the recent improvements obviate the need for the furnace, relying soley on the space heaters.

I should have mentioned that at Manchester Sunday night, I installed none of the improved measures.

BTW, inside wall temps are 64.3°F (OAT 33°F), so the Barth insulation is pretty good, and most of the prior heat loss was through the windows.

And the Fantastic Fan operating knobs and switches don't allow insertion of a foam block, a simpler and more effective solution.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
The blackout curtains are yet another layer. When I park at my sister's, they will be put up.

Yeah, I think heavy curtains might be in our future. Perhaps simpler and more effective than valences or lambriquins.

quote:

And the Fantastic Fan operating knobs and switches don't allow insertion of a foam block, a simpler and more effective solution.

Perhaps my ceiling is thicker. I did have to cut recesses in the foam for the opening wheel and the speed and thermo knobs to make the foam fit fully up in the well. The reversing switch doesn't mind the foam pressing against it. For winter only use, the opening wheel could be removed to make fitting the foam block simpler.

We've got hot and cold running relatives, but I will try to find it and post a picture this week.

We like it in summer, too, as its darkening effect keeps the dog from waking up too early and thumping and bumping around, waking us.

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps some foam tape. Maybe there is a flat self-adhesive weatherstrip that will pass the Susan test. We had some nifty stuff at the airline.

I put some self adhesive thin foam tape between the inner metal frame on my door glass and the frame itself. I only did this one because I took it apart to install my electronic door lock. This is now the only window frame in the coach that doesn't precipitate in cold weather. I imagine it also stops it from become a mini fridge to some extent, but as Rusty says, most of the transfer is probably from the glass. My rig does have thermal glass though.

My biggest problem in the cold is condensing respiration from two humans, two dogs, and two cats when we travel north or south. I've wondered about a dehumidifier.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thinking further about it, a good reason not to use the electric heaters is humidity. The gas furnace should dry things out some as does the AC shouldn't it? I can't recall if the furnace draws air from outside or recirculates.

I am VERY careful with the small space heaters after I burned my hand unplugging one from the 110V plug, it got that hot!!!

It should be noted that external heating devices are potentially dangerous and can easily overload a circuit. Use them with caution and an understanding of their electrical draw.

Every year in the north-east there were dozens of fires due to misuse of space heaters.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
as Rusty says, most of the transfer is probably from the glass.

Using Rusty's temp gun figures and an estimate of glass area vs frame surface area, that is surely the case. We could calculate something using degrees and units of area, but it's a certainty that the frame is a distant second. However, your example is a good illustration of the positive effect of frame insulation or isolation.

quote:
My rig does have thermal glass though.

If you have, or can borrow a temp gun, it would be nifty to get some figures under the same conditions as Rusty's, just to get a measurement of the benefits of thermal glass.

Drifting along on the benefits or thermal glass, I wonder if anyone with a sound meter has measured the improvement in quietness, as well.

If you wanna do this, I can loan you my spl meter and/or Raytek temp gun.

posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have, or can borrow a temp gun, it would be nifty to get some figures under the same conditions as Rusty's, just to get a measurement of the benefits of thermal glass.

Ha, Ha, Ha, like I'm going back into the freezing north for any cause!! confusion

First Month Member
posted Hide Post

Here is the foam plug in position in my Fantastic Fan:

If it looks like charcoal gray foam sprayed with almond Krylon, well, that's what it is. We had some nice AR3 grille cloth on it, but the cat got it.

Here is a picture of the back side:

I hope the cutouts show well enough. The temp and thermostat knobs just have the corners thinned, while the open/close wheel cavity is over an inch deep. I plan on shortening the knob shaft to get it a little higher, but that won't happen for a while.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
The gas furnace should dry things out some as does the AC shouldn't it? I can't recall if the furnace draws air from outside or recirculates.
Gas combustion air is always (to my knowledge) external for any RV application. Unlike homes the distance to external supply air is short and the venting is easy. Like home systems there is a heat exchanger.

I am VERY careful with the small space heaters after I burned my hand unplugging one from the 110V plug, it got that hot!!!
You might want to check the outlet contact condition. I had the same experience with a shorepower plug and found the onboard side needed replacement due to poor connection onboard.

It should be noted that external heating devices are potentially dangerous and can easily overload a circuit. Use them with caution and an understanding of their electrical draw.

Every year in the north-east there were dozens of fires due to misuse of space heaters.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The insulation measures are getting a test - it was 12°F this AM, NW winds 25-40 mph. The two space heaters kept the temp at 65° after I discovered the windward bedroom window was 3/4" open, and that the inulation blanket on the large (driver's side) LR window had slipped out of place.

Last year the space heaters struggled to keep a 35° differential - this year, 50°+.

Worth the effort (1.5 hrs.) and expense ~$60.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I didn't mention that last year's temps were with both heaters in the front with the bedroom shut off.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, we are already using a couple of inches of foam to insulate our Fantastic Fan hole at night.

FF offers a double glazed lid. It appears to have about a 1/8" air gap.

Would anybody have any figures or experience on how much improvement double-glazed plastic would give?

I am trying to decide if it would be worth the money.