Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Roof Coating
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted
After reading the various discussions about roof coating I have made a decision to go with the Liquid Roof product. I don't wish to use a paint product so the elastomerics are out. I chose Liquid Roof since it does not require a primer or activator like the Dicor does.

Is there any problems with this approach?

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Tere's the expert on roof work but I do recall some information that Liquid Roof should not be used on an aluminum roof, that it is very good for rubber roofs. We used Dicor lap sealant on the joints of the roof and rolled on Anvil for the roof. Anvil is the product Barth used at the factory. It is much less expensive that Liquid Roof. Look up Tere's tutorial for a complete explanation

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
I don't think that the type of roof is the problem. I contacted the manufacturer of Liquid Roof and they confirmed that EPDM SHOULD NOT be applied over any elastomeric coating on surfaces having a slope less than 3 inches per foot. What can, and does, happen is the elastomeric becomes saturated with the EPDM components and loses its adherence to the roof. This is not a 100 per cent occurrence but it happens enough that I do not want to take the chance.

EPDM is definitely a much better coating than any elastomeric but I would have to completely strip my roof and I'm not into doing that.

It appears that the second best choice is the Anvil if only I can find a source. I won't be able to do anything before March so I still have time to reconsider.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
I did my roof this last summer and used Anvil 400 which I ordered directly from the manufacturer Click Here. I followed Tere's excellent tutorial Click Here with great results.

Cheers

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I used Lanco Seal elastomeric. I just pressure cleaned the roof and scraped of any loose stuff, then sealed any questionable areas with Dycor lap sealant, then rolled on 2 coats of Lanco. Still looks great after a couple years, but I'll get another coat on before the summer heat gets here.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/10
Picture of Reado
posted Hide Post
I've just spent 10-12 hours wirebrushing all seams and rivets and removing vents, stack covers, etc. I'm going to apply Plas-T-Coat on the clean areas. I've found that practically all the window frames had critical areas where the caulking had deteriorated so I'll be removing the windows and sealing them with butyl tape. The rubber stripping around the windows have also hardened and stretched....don't know what to do about that yet. I'll be asking an Auto Glass place.

Posts: 60 | Location: Agassiz, BC Canada | Member Since: 07-19-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post