Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Barth Breakaway Inside Door Latch Replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth Breakaway Inside Door Latch Replacement
 Login now/Join our community

posted

Pictured above, does anyone know where to find a replacement for this inner door latch? It’s still working, but it’s slowly starting to fall apart and I don’t want to wait for the inevitable to happen before I start looking for replacements. Is there a generic latch or anything that might work or am I stuck trying to find the exact match replacement part? Thanks for any help you guys might have for me!

Posts: 7 | Location: Denver, CO | Member Since: 08-05-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
"locking rv entry door latch" in google search shows dozens of locks. As long as they fit your opening they generally work. Get the keyless entry one as an upgrade.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alright, let me try adding a bit more detail this time:

• 1) My latch seems to be "non-standard". Here's some more pictures to illustrate why I believe that to be the case (I took more but I'm not seeing them uploaded to my Photobucket album, will update this post if they end up showing up):

• 2) I'm a professional web developer by trade, which one could also say means I'm a "professional googler"
  • 3) I searched extensively trying to find a suitable replacement latch before posting this message, including scouring these forums. The closest I found to something helpful was this post - https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...463909777#8463909777 which linked to a non-existent page on Pomar Hardware. I started a new search on that site, and the closest I got was the section on "rotary latches" - http://pomarhardware.com/onlin...ches-paddle-handles/ - however all the handle assemblies appear to be for the outside handle judging by the space for a key to be inserted versus the slide to lock from the inside.
  • 4) Doing some more searching this morning before posting this, I did find some useful assemblies that look very similar to mine via Trimark - http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/...mid=13&categoryid=90, however the locking mechanism and latch itself are "inverted". This appears to be the "updated" version that they make - http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/...id=145&categoryid=90, and the handle is correctly above the locking slide mechanism, however it now looks to be flipped horizontally the wrong way. The "view products" tab on this page lists a bunch of different versions, so I suspect I might find it on that list. I'm going to reach out directly to them and see if they can help me at all either, but figured I'd go ahead and post the details here for anyone else who might end up searching for this later.

Hope the extra detail helps, definitely appreciate any advice anyone has on getting a replacement and getting things installed.

Posts: 7 | Location: Denver, CO | Member Since: 08-05-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Streetlogics:
Alright, let me try adding a bit more detail this time:
I'm a professional web developer by trade, which one could also say means I'm a "professional googler"
....figured I'd go ahead and post the details here for anyone else who might end up searching for this later.
Hope the extra detail helps, definitely appreciate any advice anyone has on getting a replacement and getting things installed.
Thumbs Up Excellent post and use of our UBB codes, thanks for sharing your links here. Thumbs Up cheers Photobucket Photos sometimes show up in a couple minutes. head bang wack They have appeared for me the next day. As for photo orientation, we have had some success at renaming photos in paint to correct the orientation. Orientation is a disagreement between phones and desktop PC devices. Click As a professional web developer you may have another name for the orientation problem, along with another suggestion. If you have a solution or work around you can share it on the Photobucket instructions page found under community announcements. Apple is repeatedly is troubling with the orientation problem.
Now about your door latch. Have you removed it and looked for the manufacturer of the latch on the inside of the latch itself? With it removed you may be able to find a close match at an RV salvage yard. Sometimes I overlook going to the local privately owned recreational vehicle store. If you have one near you it may be worth a try.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now we can recognize more details. The actual lock at the door jamb with the bolt mounted to the chassis is exactly what we put on Cobra Replicas. It comes from an MGA and was original to the ACE Cobra of 1960. The hard part is the handle. It is cable pull type with a manual lock. I will search the sources and see if we can help.
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try this, call them with dimensions. https://www.fixmyambulance.com...mc-21000-pklk-30.htm

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I found the lock last year. It is available, but do not currently remember the name. A friend of mine has a Triple E and they buy the door complete from a vendor that uses the same lock. I will try to remember or find the MFGer. The mfgers name is stamped on the door so will contact them and get the name. There are a few still available.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
The original was probably a Bargman L-300. The same as I have on my 1994 Breakaway XL.
The lock sets have not been manufactured since the '90's, but you can still find them used on Ebay. I purchased one off Ebay last year. They are much more robustly constructed compared to the cheap plastic crap that is use on RV's today.
Another source is to cruise around the country side looking for old junker motorhomes parked out behind someone's house or barn. Many motorhomes built in the '70's-'90's used the same lock set. I bet you could talk the owner out of one for $25. They usually are priced in the $200.00 range on Ebay.

Posts: 173 | Location: Greeneville TN | Member Since: 05-11-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Here is the source where I got mine. The new one is metal.

http://ptlengineering.com/handles-locking-mechanisms/

Part number: 009-079

$32

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need the front door hinge can't find anywhere does anyone know

Posts: 132 | Location: Ruskin flordia | Member Since: 08-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last one you will be ever need: See https://www.zoro.com/ives-gear...3in-us28/i/G8081175/
(Sorry about the link, it just won't copy correctly.