Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Engine conversion
 Login now/Join our community

posted
It's been awhile since I have been on the site. I am in the process of installing a Cummins 8.3 in my "81" MCC. 8.2 DD is out and 8.3 is partially in. The engine is a mechanical 310 HP with an Allison MT 643. I anticip;ate I will have to modify the rear shroud. Any input would be appreciated.

Posts: 13 | Location: Blissfield, MI 49228 | Member Since: 07-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Engine direction rotation?

I would hate to think that you would be the proud owner of the "World's fastest" coach running in reverse.
It wouldn't work anyway, trans wouldn't allow it.
Along the same line...
Water pump and fan clutch direction?

I've done a couple of re-powers in a few trucks, none in a motorhome. The biggest issue with trucks is the fan shroud. Make sure it is very close and resist the temptation to hack away at the shroud.

Also keep in mind that a 6 cyl is longer then an 8 cyl. Everything else will be a learning experience.

Take plenty of pictures and post them. We might see something to add.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Have a look at ... www.expertdiesel.com/motorhome.htm
They are swapping a 3208 for a DD in somebody's Regency.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Whoops!! Got that backwards me thinks!

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don, Thanks for the input. The 3208 swap was moderately successful. Talked to him. He only lives 20 miles from me. He did not like the job Expert Diesel did for him. The shroud I was referring to was not the radiator shroud but the rear cap on the body. Getting closer. rigajake

Posts: 13 | Location: Blissfield, MI 49228 | Member Since: 07-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Any photos?? more detail???

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post