Tools
Reply To This Topic

Recoating the Monarch roof
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
I replaced my cracked center skylight a short time ago. (Icon #12117 34" x 18" smoked). Scraped off a ton of caulking. I installed the new one with stainless steel screws, washers, and caulked with Dicor sealant.

While working on that, I saw the roof was black with dirt and algae. It was not leaking but I decided it was time to clean, recaulk and recoat the roof.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

roof before

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I reviewed the excellent thread on roof work by Jim & Tere,
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...=242101081#242101081

I scrubbed the roof with soap, water and a brush. Let it soak, and scrubbed again. Finished up with the power washer. I did not remove ACs but I did remove the plastic vent shrouds to check caulking underneath.

Next I will recaulk any needed areas with Dicor sealant. After that I will recoat with Anvil.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

roof after

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Looks a lot better. Be sure to take another pic when you're done. I will be working on same project this spring. I did not remove our a/c's on Old Blue either. They weren't leaking. If I explore things that don't really need exploring I usually end up creating problems.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Both ACs were replaced (with new gaskets) about 2 years ago so I am not concerned with them. They should be good for a while.

I will remove the AC covers like you did when I recoat. The back one is already getting a bit sunbaked so I will paint it when I remove it.

Most of the caulking is in pretty good shape and no bare aluminum so less work than you had.

I will post a final photo when finished. Since PhotoBucket is not working, I have resized these to minimum to save site space. I will upload and relink them when we get a working photo service... head bang

to be continued:

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Got the caulking touched up and I cut in with a brush. There is a rear AC, 2 solar panels and a rail in the back you can't see in the photo. Ready for the roller tomorrow.

I am not using the original Anvil 400 product. They have a newer product Anvil 8800 I chose. Claims to be siliconized to stay cleaner and has fungicide to reduce mildew buildup, has a 20 year guarantee. Brushes well and dries quickly too.

cut in roof

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Staying nice and bright white will really help with heat gain from sun load.

How much will it take to cover your roof, how many coats?

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
If you have to get a full bucket just to finish up, I'd buy a partial to do mine.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Anvil recommends 2-3 coats. Based on their coverage rates, I should have enough for two coats for sure. One today, the second tomorrow. I will prob do a third coat if I have any left over.

I used about 1/3 gallon for the cutting in. I will roll the next coats and do a final touch up with a brush.

The 8800 is supposedly more reflective and more shiny than the 400, and has fungicide built in. They do not recommend 8800 for flat roofs, though. 400 is recommended for flat roofs, will stand puddles better, apparently.

Having insulated the roof recently and now recoated, it will be impossible to tell which change is more effective for heat control. For the cold temps so far, it does seem the coach stays warmer than in the past. The metal window frame on the insulated side does not sweat and the other side was soaking wet with condensation.

Considering how dark and dirty the roof was I have to believe being white and shiny will reduce the heat from the sun. As the days warm up I will be able to tell.

to be continued:

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
As the days warm up I will be able to tell.

Steve; please tell me when that will happen!!!

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Duane didn’t you just put a brand new white top code on yours and I believe maybe you’ll be getting another one tonight or tomorrow. I guarantee that topcoat will help with the heat gain of your roof. Some people call that white shiny stuff snow others may call it a reflective layer that bounces the heat back into never Neverland.

More fun in 2021! Is my new mantra. If someone will just quit complaining about Minnesnowta draining water through Iowa via the Mississippi River. Your Harshing my mellow! Dr told me I need to destress

Tooling Along ROTFLMAO cheers Thumbs Up

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Got up to 75 today! I got the first coat rolled on. Goes on easy like thick paint. I just poured blobs on the roof and rolled it around. It is as white as snow, but much warmer! ROTFLMAO

Another coat tomorrow, I will have plenty in the 5 gallon pail.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Nice!!

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I got the second coat done. I sprayed both AC covers with fresh white paint. Replaced the vent covers and all is good. I used less than half the five gallon pail. I decided to apply a third coat.

The surface is very white and shiny bright! Hopefully it will stay clean and bright for some time. There should be no leaks for a long time either! I will see what effect I get when weather gets sunny and hotter.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Looks very nice, figure 300 s.f./gal.? Don't park under sappy trees!
PS, just got booked for 1st anti-coronation shot, 2021 may find us leaving our rabbit hole if Liz gets the nod soon. Didn't realize robbing the cradle might have consequences, she is 4 years younger.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I used around 3 gallons. Maybe more like 200 ft2/gal. Between 2 ACs, 3 vents, 2 solar panels, and 2 skylights, with curved sides and ends not covered, the area is a bit less. I used fairly thick coats with a 1/2" roller. Anvil calls for less square feet but I laid it on pretty thick I thought.

I still need to do something with the shower skylight. It is brittle and cracked and the steel screws are corroded. It gets quite hot in the shower on sunny days, cold and drafty otherwise.

I found a replacement. Icon #01867. It is 5 sided, basically a 28" square with a diagonal across one corner. I don't really need much light in there so I got the white translucent version. I will install an extra sheet of Plexiglass under it for better insulation, like I did with the center one.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp