Recoating the Monarch roof
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Looks very nice, figure 300 s.f./gal.? Don't park under sappy trees!
PS, just got booked for 1st anti-coronation shot, 2021 may find us leaving our rabbit hole if Liz gets the nod soon. Didn't realize robbing the cradle might have consequences, she is 4 years younger.

Tere is 20 years younger than me. Guess I'll be hitting the bars and poolrooms solo for a while.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dana:
Duane didn’t you just put a brand new white top code on yours and I believe maybe you’ll be getting another one tonight or tomorrow. I guarantee that topcoat will help with the heat gain of your roof. Some people call that white shiny stuff snow others may call it a reflective layer that bounces the heat back into never Neverland.

More fun in 2021! Is my new mantra. If someone will just quit complaining about Minnesnowta draining water through Iowa via the Mississippi River. Your Harshing my mellow! Dr told me I need to destress

Tooling Along ROTFLMAO cheers Thumbs Up

So now the Minesnowta folks are calling "snow" roof coating, yes it does reflect the sun, but we have not had much of that lately, saw a big yellow thing in the sky yesterday not sure what it was!!! We have had 3 coating in the last week or so and more tonight and tomorrow expected. I think Mother nature thinks Iowa is a stepchild of Minnesnowta.

The Ole Mississippi river is quite low, but come July or August when all the roof covering in Minnesnowta melts it will be in full flood again....Oh well!!!

Kimmy, our governor says that us old people will be able to get a covid vaccination starting in early February, so far no plan on how to get in line. Iowa has not received as many doses as it could use yet.

Steve that roof looks fantastic!!! I have a lot of bare spots, and places with thick rock hard caulk and other weird stuff, and now Flexseal that I think I should remove and/or prime before applying a new sealant. The front half still has aluminum tape from a P.O. that needs to come off also. I lost the back half of tape on a trip back from Memphis on a hot September day. Tape never sealed it anyway.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2056 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Well I have had a 5 gallon pail just waiting for the right opportunity to recoat Midnight. 3 coats and had about 2 quarts left. Added to the left overs from coating DBarth and Camp Barth. I have enough to recoat Camp Barth.

I need to spray paint the air conditioner covers. Even scrubbing they didn’t return to white. The one is still filthy as I piled the solar panels on while coating.

Took out the hall skylight or as I call them “Heat Generators”. I can’t remove the shower one as I need the height if I’m going to shower.

I put a new refrigerator vent. I also altered the air flow behind the refrigerator for efficiency. Sealed off the big void above the refrigerator. Also sealed off the void under the freezer section. I have a small 110 volt fan that runs when plugged in. There are now 2 12 volt fans with switch inside. This should increase air flow and efficiency when hot.

All these things were delaying the recoat of the roof. Good for another 25 years!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Looks nice Thumbs Up

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 625 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Thanks Harold

Can anyone explain to me the thought process behind BLACK air conditioners and fan covers? Is it all about looks? Instead of efficiencies? I don’t understand? I am even seeing them on white trailers or mostly white.

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
I believe you are correct , all about looks .
They do look nice , but I don't think you need the extra heat magnets Eeker

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 625 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
You only have one a/c on the roof of the monarch?

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I was standing on the roof for that photo. The rear one is not shown as I am right next to it so it didn’t make the picture. I have to be on the ladder to get a good picture showing it. I was stocking foot at the time trying not to stick to the new coating.

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

posted Hide Post
Hi Dana,

Regarding the thought process of RV manufacturers using black on various roof covers, here's my take based on my knowledge. First using the "occam's razor" method, black might be cheaper or more readily available. However, if in fact it is a design choice, the following may be the reason: white & any light value hue(yellow, ivory, silver) expand optically. Black & any dark value hue(navy blue, maroon, forest green etc) recede optically. Since it is my view that the roof covers, vents, etc. are the least aesthetic design element on any RV or motorhome, by making them black to appear less noticeable(smaller) would be a design benefit. The difference between black & white optically is rather significant, as they are at the extreme ends of the light & dark scale. We were always taught that the optical difference between the two is 15% & we have found this to be true in our own designs. This is the reason that aging rock stars, who have packed on a few pounds, ie Vince Neal, wear black or other dark colors on stage. As one approaches the center of the value scale(light & dark), the % is less pronounced. There have been many books written by talented graphic & sign artists regarding the value scale as well as many other theoretical visual rules(rather dry reading), definitely not as exciting as Ian Fleming's Thunderball.

Posts: 55 | Location: Central Pa. | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Stein
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goodsign:
Hi Dana,
... black might be cheaper...

Computer The rest of this information is above my pay grade. Interesting information on color compared to size. Salute Thanks Goodsign. Your thoughts have Click enlightened me. hmm

Posts: 10 | Location: Signapore | Member Since: 04-01-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Frank,

Thank you. Glad the information was helpful. Let me add this. Harold is 100% correct concerning a black coating being a heat magnet. Heat absorption from the sun on a black or dark surface not only can add uncomfortable temperatures within the coach but will also affect the longevity of the coating. We have many sign structures decades old which were painted using light values(light gray, ivory, off white) which still are intact as compared to darker backgrounds, which fail sooner due to extreme expansion & contraction of the coating from much more pronounced heating & cooling cycles.

On our Breakaway, we used this solution: we painted all of the tops of our Duo-Therm covers and other vents polar white and we painted all the vertical sides metallic silver & clearcoated them with two-part urethane. Metallic silver has interesting properties as in direct sunlight it can appear very close to white in value(light & dark scale) while out of direct sunlight, it can appear neutral(gray) a five value & therefore optically recede. The best of both worlds. Doesn't absorb much heat & doesn't look like we're hauling the "Michelin Man" on the roof.

Good Luck,
John

Posts: 55 | Location: Central Pa. | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello!

This is my first post, but the hurricane necessitates it be my first topic too.

I just got a 1987 Barth Regal 25, and I've got a leak. I'm in Southern Pines, NC.

I want to redo the roof, since it needs it.

Where did you get the Anvil 8800? And is there any comparable or better sealant at Camping World?

Thank you all for sharing so much! I don't feel so lost now.

-James

Posts: 11 | Location: USA | Member Since: 09-27-2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site! Good luck with your coach.

When I did my roof I bought the Anvil 8800 at Home Depot. I was not able to find Anvil 400 anywhere. The Anvil 8800 was also hard to find then. It appears that Anvil quit production during Covid shutdown and I'm not sure they have restarted. There seems to be none available.

In Florida they use a lot of Lanco products for RVs and mobile homes. I have not used it myself.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I must have gotten some of the last Anvil 400. I am happy with the results again.

Interesting note. I had some left from the time I coated DBarth. When I combined the last of both pails together I used an old rag. Threw the rag on an piece of wood. Yesterday I picked up yesterday to throw away. I could not separate them.

I coated DBarth with another product originally. I won’t name the product because my memory isn’t that good. I didn’t like it. I was able to pressure wash it off with little effort. There is no way I can do that with Anvil.

Be careful what you use! Make sure you prep well.

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

posted Hide Post
Thank you!

I'll try the big box hardware stores and perhaps the Marine stores

Posts: 11 | Location: USA | Member Since: 09-27-2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post