Barthmobile Portal
Lots of work!

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3431087061/m/2673916297

04-05-2019, 09:34 PM
MWrench
Lots of work!
Since things with my health has settled down and all tests coming back negative, I started work on the Breakaway in January. I did somethings that were probably not necessary but at 298,000 miles, figured I would really check/change a lot of the running gear.

Had this very annoying "clunk" coming from the right front when turning to the left. New shocks, no change. New ball joints, no change. New kin pins, no change, New front springs, VIOLA clunk is gone. I can't find anything wrong with the old springs, the arch of the right spring was a bit off so now the ride height is good side to side. My belief is that the "U" bolts on the right spring may have loosened over time and that is where the clunk was coming from.

To the rear, I have air assist on the rear springs and it is clear that the installment of the air assist was not correct! The air bags were ahead of the axle, this is NOT a correct place for them! They should be placed at or over the top of the axle or to the rear of the axle. The reason they were in the wrong place is because the shocks are rear of the axle and also the "E brake"/parking brake actuator was there. SO, I relocated and replaced the shocks ahead of the axle, relocated the "E brake"/parking brake actuator and re-manufactured the air assist bag mounting plate. MUCH better with a lot more air assist effect on the rear ride height.

The "E brake"/was never very effective. I had adjusted the linkage many times but never got a really good parking control. SO took off the drum brake from the MD3060 Allison and found that the drum was badly scored and the brake pads were at the rivets. Brake shoes no longer available so the local truck brake shop had to replace the linings. They would not turn the brake drum (it is a steel drum, not cast) so I chucked it up in my lathe and got it nice and smooth! HOWEVER I noticed the drum was out of round and I was taking more metal off one side. Took the drum to a balancing shop, thanks goodness I did, took many ounces to get it running vibration free. "E" brake now holds the coach on a downhill grade even when in gear and a slight throttle advance, it will not move!

In all of this, one cold morning the transmission keypad refused to work, common problem with older key pads with the WTEC II Allison. Removed the keypad and disassembled, cleaned the contact area and the conductive rubber contacts with 99.9% denatured alcohol, all is good, Put the WTEC II computer in the freezer over night, still works good the next morning.

Just finished snaking the cable from the rear back up camera area to the dash, waiting on delivery of the camera system which should be similar to the one Tom King is using on his rebuild.

April 14, heading to Oregon to get both windshields replaced and the copilots side window replaced. it is a thermal pane and has gotten a lot of condensation inside and I could not see the mirror. While there I plan to talk with some folks about making a custom track bar to replace the the bar that broke off the rear diff. It must be much longer then the crappy bar Spartan used.

I should be ready for another 300K miles after all this!!

BACK TO WORK!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater
04-06-2019, 08:50 AM
Jim and Tere
Good to seeing you feeling better.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny
04-06-2019, 11:57 AM
Duane88
Ed, I envy your work ethic, be great to see you again in June.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine
05-02-2019, 12:35 PM
MWrench
OK, both front windshields replaced, no gaskets were needed. passenger side front window replaced, it had fogged up. The replacement is a laminated window without an air space but it has a lifetime warranty.

Billy T, we tried to carefully get out the drivers side windshield without cracking further but no such luck. Had it most of the way but just as we were separating it from the center gasket, three cracks started and ran all the way thru to the center. I tried!

if any of you have a windshield leak, do not try to fix it with silicone or RTV. Use only urethane sealant. Advice from the glass people.

Backup cameras (2) now are in place and functional. The remaining 2 side cameras are not don yet as I haven't found a good place for them. On the passenger's side I have the awning legs sticking out. so more time needed.

All of the mods and improvements are very good. I think I am almost ready to head East to the GTGs. As I go over 300K, there will be more to change or to refresh. I have been having concerns about the transmission as the 3rd-4th shift is getting worse. Only when cold and gets better after traveling for about 30-60 minutes.

Have ordered a new turbo, no issue with the existing one but I have run it very hard for 250K miles. Just don't want to be caught with a failure on the road.

Looking to add Safe-T-Steer but no decision yet. Replacement of rear track bar still needs to be addressed, rear end still is not as stable as I would like, but not as bad since the air bag assist changes I made.

See some of Y'all soon!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater
05-02-2019, 04:33 PM
Crazyshakespeare13
Can I ask what you are using for your cameras and how they are interfaced?
05-03-2019, 09:17 AM
MWrench
I bought the complete set up from Amazon. I didn't go for the high end monitor and cameras, who needs 4K or HDMI on a 7-9 inch monitor.

Mine is a wired setup, I had tried wireless ($$$$) but it didn't work well in the aluminum Barth box. Lost sync a lot and the video was not smooth. Returned it.

This is what I got.

eRapta backup camera system thru Amazon.

Got 4 cameras and a 7 inch monitor for right at $200 delivered. Came with 2 20M cables and 2 10M cables all with connectors. Instructions are lacking but was a straight forward installation. I did have to cut the longer cables as the connectors would not feed thru the aluminum frame easily. I don't like long cables anyway.

I have 2 cameras in the back, one faces straight back and the other faces down and looks right at my trailer hitch. 7 inch monitor is a bit small but it works well. Video is smooth and clear. I haven't found a good place for the 2 side cameras yet, more things to do. Their customer service is good and responsive.

Let me know if you need more info.
HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater
05-03-2019, 03:33 PM
Duane88
I put a cheapo back up camera in nose that I got on Ebay last year, it was wireless, worked ok, but the monitor went dead this spring.

I bought another one same no brand, it would not work at all. So I bought another no brand but a bit of an upgrade. installed it and it is working semi fine, as Ed said I do have a bit of have fuzz now and then, I will have enough invested in these cheapos' soon that I could have bought a decent one like Ed did. We will see how long this one lasts!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine
05-03-2019, 05:50 PM
Crazyshakespeare13
Thanks for the information. I built and install a car pc in the Barth based on a windows tablet (12 in screen) So looking for the best way to interface cameras with it. I figure I will end up just using webcams to make it easy.