Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Intellipower 9200 Power Converter Upgrade
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Intellipower 9200 Power Converter Upgrade
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
The photo documentation is helpfull and apreciated. Nice Job!

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Awesome pics, thanks as your setup is mine exactly. I must say I am hesitant to do the conversion understanding the inverter side of this Intelligenius. I read about this in the manual, but didn't full understand it's functionality on the coach. My problem is the battery charger on the Intelligenius boils out the house batts and otherwise doesn't have the more modern circuitry to maintain the house batts. I wonder if a solution for my situation isn't to just disconnect the house batts while not using the coach and charge the house batts along with the starter batts w/a pigtail clip in paralell charging from the 8 amp Batter Minders?
Your solution looks the best and I figure I will do this sometime in the future.
Also, how many watt inverter did you install?
Thanks

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Another question, in my electrically challenged mind I don't see from your conversion what and how charges your house batts. I see your Intelligenius replaced with a 2.0 inverter and another small 120V panel.
What charges the house batts?
Did I miss something?
Thanks

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/10
posted Hide Post
I am no authority on this. I am only offering what I think I know and if I'm in error on something hopefully this post will be corrected as there are a lot of people on here with more knowledge about this than I'll ever have. Keeping this in mind.............Here goes:

I read about this in the manual, but didn't full understand it's functionality on the coach.

I'm guessing that your unit probably never worked so if you haven't had any experience with using the functions then you don't know what's been missing in your coach.

The Intelligenius is supposed to perform 3 different main functions.

1. It will charge your house batteries when you are plugged into 120V shore power (or running your generator).

2. It will convert 120V ac shore power (or generator) to 12V dc so that all the 12V items (lights, water pump, DC tv's, etc) in your coach will operate.

3. When you are not plugged into 120V shore power (and you flip your rocker switch above the entry door to ON) then it will invert the 12V power off your house batteries to 120V power so that you could operate your refrigerator, microwave, hair dryer, or plug into any of your outlets and you'll have 120V power even though you're not connected to shore power or using your generator.

Intelligenius boils out the house batts and otherwise doesn't have the more modern circuitry to maintain the house batts

Actually if it were operating the way it's supposed to it will perform the different stages of charging the batteries that a newer unit does.

Your unit is probably stuck in the high or initial charge which is supposed to be 14.2 amps and it's not reducing the charge after the batteries are full, it should at that point be at 13.2 amps to "float" charge the batteries (so it doesn't cook or overcharge them) when you're plugged into shore power.

My unit when it went bad was charging the batteries at 16.4 amps!!!!! I think I was fortunate that it didn't ruin the 12V system components in my coach.

If your unit is boiling/cooking the battery it might be running even higher than 14.2 amps as mine did. If you can't check the amps at the battery when you're plugged in (use your multi-meter to check) to make sure that your Intelligenius hasn't gone wild (charging as mine did at 16.4 amps).

I wouldn't (if it were me) plug the coach into shore power for any length of time, if at all, until you check this out!

I wonder if a solution for my situation isn't to just disconnect the house batts while not using the coach and charge the house batts along with the starter batts w/a pigtail clip in paralell charging from the 8 amp Batter Minders?

An 8 amp charger isn't going to do much for you if you are going to use your batteries much if at all.
I would suggest buying an amp readout that you can plug into a 12V (cigarette lighter) outlet and you can easily monitor what your batteries are doing (or being done to the batteries). I think the one I have only cost about $10-$20 and really convenient.

I would not recommend anything short of removing the Intelligenius from your system, as I said it's probably running wild and if it is like the one I had some of the circuits inside mine were actually burned up, as in completely burned through (hot! hot! hot!) and disintegrated!!

I would not be comfortable just disconnecting the batteries from what I saw internally in mine.
It would be a real shame to find your coach reduced to ashes right before your eyes.

What charges the house batts?

The ProSine does it all.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/prosine-2-0-i...-true-sinewave/22149

There are all different kinds of units that will work (check dimensions and clearances before you buy).
Check with your service center and see what they recommend, but they probably haven't seen anything like this so as always be cautious when selecting a tech to do the work on your coach.

You don't have to have an inverter at all, just replace it with a converter/charger as others have done in the Breakaways.

But regardless of what you do, you will have to remove the 120V breakers out of the Intelligenius and into a circuit panel as I did.

1990 32' Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins CTA8.3
Allison 4 speed

Posts: 70 | Location: WI | Member Since: 03-19-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
Steve WI,
Thank you for your time and patience in covering this issue in such detail, this is precisely the data I needed. The prosine you installed appears from my cursory research on my Intelligenius probably the best option. It seems a little pricey for me and I may start a new thread investigating other solutions to the Intelligenius replacement problem. I agree with you, from watching my house batts boiling out that it -must- be putting out far north of 14v.
Thanks again.