Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Intellipower 9200 Power Converter Upgrade
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Intellipower 9200 Power Converter Upgrade
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted
All,
I am considering upgrading my standard power converter to an Intellipower 9200 series unit. It has 4 modes of charge, including desulphation. I notice the stock unit was boiling the batts fairly intensely today. Anyone installed this one. I haven't found the amperage on my current one on my 32' Regency, however I would think a 60 amp unit would work great. Anyone installed one. They smaller amp units are a great price here:

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Progressive_Dynamics_s/53.htm

Any feedback appreciated.
Thanks

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I replaced the crappy converter on my SOB with a 9160. The 9160 on my Barth fried itself (I think it didn't get used enough to keep the humidity at bay), so I changed it out for a 9260, and it works just fine. For your unit, a 9280 might be better, but that might require new 12VDC leads.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
This will start my 4th year with a 9245.....One of my smarter upgrades. Really enjoy the noise reduction (elimination actually.....)

Old converter required constant monitoring of battery, adding water (sometimes weekly) and
I still cooked one. With almost full-time shore power & 9245, I now add a little water once a season.....

Factory techs are great folks too.....

Lurking around Ebay sometimes finds units at about
50% MSRP

I give it a Best Buy

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I have the 9280, and am very happy with it. About 3 years old now, and runs all the time, when possible. Battery water is not used up on my 4 golf car batteries. The only issue that I have is that it gets confused sometimes when the solar panels are charging, and I want a fast recharge from the generator.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
My unit has the 'Intelligenius' converter that has a momentary rocker switch near the doorway in. I haven't figured out what this switch does yet...
If I upgrade to the Intellipower 9280 I suppose the old Intelligenius rocker switch will have no function. Any converted from the Intelligenius system to the Intellipower 9200 series and could comment on any particular issues with the function of that rocker?
Thanks

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know much about the "charge wizard" that can be hooked up to these Inteli power units? Is this something worth investing in?

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Charge Wizard is an add-on chip that turns
a 9100 series converter into a 9200 series....

92 series doesn't need an independent Charge
Wizard - it's already installed internally.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
darn...thanks Lee.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
How difficult is the install on this unit? Looks pretty heavy-duty as involves 12V and 110.

Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
An electron-impaired person like me called the
800 Tech Support number and a very patient
man talked me thru it....armed with his info, the job was 30 minute swap....Also good schematics come in the box - I'd say almost a bullet-proof project......Your mileage may vary....

posted Hide Post
Ya know, I was told that this unit would charge my batteries anyway,...I wonder what the benefit is to having the charge wizard?

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Two advantages to the Charge Wizard:

The flashing LED tells the charge state even when the engines off and shore power's disconnected.

It periodically runs a desulfating cycle, which lengthens battery life and increases efficiency.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/10
posted Hide Post
I replaced the "Intelijunk" in my Coach last spring. It was cooking the battery and the inverter never worked for me. The switch above the door is supposed to turn the inverter on (so you can operate 120V outlets, microwave, etc. off your 12V system), having the switch above the door is just a convenience so you don't have to turn it on at the unit (probably located under the bed?).
I just disconnected the wires (2) to the switch at the unit, and if I remember correctly they are blue wires with a silver stripe, probably the same color on yours also.

The row of 15A blade fuses were not connected to anything on mine and if you have a "power breaker" box for 12V yours is probably the same.
After you take it out it might look like this and if you open the unit up I bet you'll find that some of the parts inside are burned up (literally burned up!).

I replaced mine with a Prosine 2.0

I mounted the unit off the floor for air flow and if I felt like flooding the Coach with water from a busted waterline at some point in the future.

I installed a new circuit box to replace all the "Intelliwhateverthing" 120V circuits for the inverter and added the forward outlets to run off the newer unit as loong as I was changing things out.

The 12V fuse box ("power breaker") mounted back on the top of the new circuit box easily.

1990 32' Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins CTA8.3
Allison 4 speed

Posts: 70 | Location: WI | Member Since: 03-19-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The ProSine inverter/converter is certainly a substantial upgrade.

Reworking a coach with a standard converter to use an inverter/converter is a bit complicated, and IMHO, not for the faint-hearted.

In my simple Breakaway, I have an inverter for the laptop and TV/Satellite Receiver in the front, and a second for the reefer in the back. The converter is an IntelliPower 9260.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/10
posted Hide Post
The Intelligenius in the Regency models is an inverter/converter, not just a converter. Looking at my original Intelligenius in the pic you can see the 120V circuit breakers that are integrated into the unit.

So if you were to replace it with just a converter you would need to move the 120V breakers out of the Intelligenius and into a panel anyway as it is all part of your complete electrical system. In other words you can not replace the Intelligenius with a converter without moving the breakers into another panel.
Again this is what the switch over the entry door is for, to activate the inverter on the Intelligenius.

So on a Regency with an Intelligenius you aren't upgrading to an inverter/converter, you are just replacing the system that's already installed. The only thing that is making the switch out different is moving the 120V breakers out of the old unit (because they are integrated) and into a panel (that you can get at any building supply outlet). After you've done that you can replace the Intelligenius with any other inverter/converter of your choice, a Regency is already wired to accommodate it.

1990 32' Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins CTA8.3
Allison 4 speed

Posts: 70 | Location: WI | Member Since: 03-19-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post