Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Aux heat for Monarch: Kevin's heater part 2
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Aux heat for Monarch: Kevin's heater part 2
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
I got the engine up and running so I can move on to other things… Mechanic

For some reason, whenever I work on or drive the coach this time of year I think of heaters and insulation… hmm

The aux heater I installed last winter works really well. (see here)
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/1033965187

I thought I might try another heater further back in the coach. The coach originally had 3(!) furnaces. The center one was not working and I removed it a while back. The location is ideal for my engine heater, with plenty of space and left over ducts to the hallway and adjacent bathroom.

The 1st heater I got from "Kevin's Salvage" was a complete core, fan and plenum. Thumbs Up
Unfortunately, I don't have another one. He did give me several other heater cores.

So begins "Kevin's heater #2"

I had a small (6" x 6") heater core in good shape. I had a left over Ducati fan from the electric fan conversion project on my Silver Wing. It is 12V about 2 amp and just the right size for the heater core. I also have several NO temp switches that close at about 55C (130F)

I mounted the core and fan in a wooden frame.

I epoxied the fan switch to the bottom of the heater core, wired it to the fan and attached a fuse and power wires.

The core and fan slides into the main plenum, for easy removal if needed.

The plenum will have three 4 inch air ducts, two for the hallway and one to the bathroom. (Next phase of project)

I will need to run two 1/2" copper lines under the couch, sink and stove to supply the heater. (I can tee them into the other heater under the couch.)

When complete, the fan switch will have constant power feed. Whenever the hot water loop is on, the fan will run automatically. Cool

I will also be cutting some Plexiglass to make interior storm windows for the bedroom. The single pane windows I have are cold and very drafty. (Another thread soon)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you had any problems with the other heater but buses with multiple heaters have problems with air locks. They often have a shut of with a small drain valve at each heater. Our 35 ft. Bluebird also had a circulating pump. They are inexpensive and available at any of the on line school bus parts houses.

Posts: 60 | Location: Tucson | Member Since: 12-25-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
When I connected the 1st heater I had some concerns but like the factory heater it seems to purge the air very quickly. Even with the valve barely cracked open I get plenty of heat, I think circulation is pretty good.

I will use the copper pipe to keep the line to the rear from kinking, etc. If it needs it I will install a pump as you suggest but I suspect it will not be needed.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Wow, how time flies! For various reasons I never installed the second heater in the rear of the Regal.

When I got the Monarch, it was also poorly heated going down the road. Worse yet, the heater hoses failed and had to be disconnected. I found a way to run new heater lines forward through the floor heat duct and got the forward heater running again, but nothing in the back.

I still had "Kevin's heater #2" in the garage. I decided to put it to work.

Having the rear engine is a plus. The Monarch had an engine water loop to the water heater at one time. I replaced those heater hoses and connected them instead to Kevin's heater. The water heater is located in the bathroom area in a lower cabinet. The cabinet door is louvered so I mounted the new heater just inside the vented door, next to the water heater, blowing into the bathroom.

The heater works quite well and keeps the back of the coach warm. A big improvement. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
All goes like it was meant to be!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Ya know - If you went south a little earlier you would not have that problem.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ole Nose did not have a rear engine cabin heater, made one out of a Chevy heater core and fan. Looks kinda Rube Goldberg, and only has one fan speed but keeps the cabin warm when the engine is running, Installed it under the rear couch/bed so it is hidden, with a duct going back and one going forward. There was engine plumbing and 12 volt power already there just plugged.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Our coach had an auxiliary van type heater mounted near the rear and it worked great . That one along with the front dash heat had no problem heating our 38 ft coach running down the road .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post