Tools
Reply To This Topic

TV Upgrading
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted
Thanks for your thoughts.

Just purchased a '92 Breakway equipped with two TV's.

Neither TV gets a single channel - raising the roof antenna did not help.
The TV's may well be original equipment.

Q1? Do TV's need to be digital to receive today's signaling?

Q2? How can I determine if a TV is digital or not?

Q3? If mine are not digital, do I simply purchase 12 volt digitals that will mount in the openings?

Q4? Can I expect to get a few stations with my
original antenna or is some additional equipment needed or recommended? (I live approximately 10 miles from the city of Pittsburgh.)

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Boonton Jim
posted Hide Post
If the TV's are not digital, and if they are original they are not digital, I believe there are converters that can be placed inline. I have one in my 86 Regal. The downside is the channel changing is done at the converter box.

I ultimately replaced my antenna with a combination satellite dish and tv antenna. During the installation I found the reason for my poor reception as the coax cable had rotted out and completely separated from the antenna where the antenna mounted to the roof.

1985 25' Regal 454

Posts: 59 | Location: Boonton, NJ | Member Since: 09-26-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
I replaced both of my TV's in my 92 Breakaway that I purchased this past summer. Both were original analog TV's. I replaced them both with new Samsung TV's. The old TV's need the set-top converter box to convert too the digital signal, you're better off replacing the TV's the new digital picture size ratio is different also.

As far as the antenna goes you should be fine with the original antenna, I'm still using mine. Being only ten miles from Pittsburgh you should get all the major networks plus PBS. I live 50 miles from Grand Rapids and pickup all their stations. The antenna is directional, plus I had to make sure the antenna switch which is inside my compartment above the driver seat is switched to antenna and not cable. Mine was set to cable and I had to switch it to receive antenna signal.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
There are a number of good articles if you do a search under "TV". Click Here Or Here Or Here Or Here

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
You will need a converter box to receive the new digital TV signals. Old antenna works fine for old or new system BUT make sure you turn on the power booster usually located in upper right cabinet by passenger seat. A little green light will come on if you press small button. On ours we also have a selector between cable or antenna input (small box with slider switch).
Power booster looks like 12V plug and antenna cable is screwed in on it. Small black button, press for better reception.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
BTW usually if it is not a flat screen but a big bulky TV it is likely not digital.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Very beneficial remarks from you all.
I knew I didn't know much. Now I know I didn't know anything. (my wife does not read these.)

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Most installations have an amplifier; there should be a slide switch on a trim plate. This has to be on for TV antenna reception.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Found the two position slide switch. I imagine the signal is amplified when the switch is positioned for the light to be on.

I've determined my TV's are of the old analog type and will be purchasing digital LED types as replacement. The 12 volt replacement comes with two power cords. Do I plug in the cigarette lighter type (12v) or the conventional (110v) plug. If I plug in the 12v would in not drain my domestic batteries, with the exception of when I am plugged into shore power my batteries would charging?

Finally, I want to thank you all for your thoughts. I've become a supporting member.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I didn't spend the extra money by getting the 12VDC versions - instead I bought 2 inverters and when dry camping, run the TV, audio, and satellite from a Prosine. The second inverter runs the laptop and phone charger. BTW, I also run the dash radio/CD from house batteries. That way, I get about 3 hours of use before having to run the generator - note that the furnace, reefer, and water heater also use 12VDC.

Plugging into the 12VDC socket when dry camping will indeed run down the house batteries, as will the inverters.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Pirate, the amplified antenna will prob get you a few digital over-the-air stations via the tuner in LCD/LED TVS. You must re-run the set up in the TV's menu whenever the coach is moved to a different reception market. NOTE: if left on, the ant amp is a parasitic drain on battery.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Speaking of 12VDC, we have a small Samsung that is 12 volt, out of a power supply that plugs into 115. I am looking for a connector for it and will add a plug for the camper outlet. Our old time antenna works well with the digital signals but as mentioned the power booster is needed.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
While on this subject, my work partner has a camp in mid Fla. that he tries to run off all 12V. He's cooked 2 small tvs so far. I seem to remember something here about 12v tvs not really being meant for 12v usage. Anybody?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Using a 12V TV in our semi truck for 3 years now. It also could be used with 110V or run on its own battery for 4 hours. No problem with it, it is small 7"

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
First both digital and analog are incoding methods. The over the air is still a RF signal, so nothing need change as far as the antenna is concerned.

We have a 21 inch flat screen we have been running on 12vdc since we bought it. It came with an external power pack which output 12vdc. So our battery is the new power pack.

My advice (worth what you are paying) is if you have a 12vdc connector on the TV use it. Yes it will use battery power, but if you run it on AC off an inverter you also use battery power and probably slighty more than using DC. This is due to the fact that inverters are only about 90% effective.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post