This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3431087061/m/2243936687

11-21-2015, 02:39 PM
Doug Smiley
high current instrument light driver???
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...711054033#6711054033

Quote:
As a side note:
I have heard reports that the instrument light dimmer is a chronic problem, fairly sure it is because the
light switch is a standard issue lite truck part it was never intended to drive 25 instrument lights.
Even if I subtract the gauges that I added the stock Breakaway with Spartan chassis would have 22 lights. Another
project for the future will be a high current instrument light driver.
---Ed

i...So if your lights were LEDs would this be required?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

11-21-2015, 07:12 PM
dr. bart
Dale Wheat offers a PWM 12v lamp dimmer kit that will handle 60w for $14.95 on his web site dalewheat.com go to 'store' and scroll down to '12v dimmer kit v2 ' ... Wonderful product... Check out the assembly pdf...
11-22-2015, 11:39 AM
MWrench
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Smiley:
If your lights were LEDs would this be required?

If LEDs were used it would indeed reduce the current (amps) required but I have not found LED instrument lighting that was good for back lighting instruments. I have not looked for awhile so there may be alternatives there now to replace light bulbs.

The old style VDO instruments require a full 360 degree lighting to get a balanced light around the instrument, a single LED usually has a very narrow beam.

I do use LEDs on the warning light panel, I can choose colors and they do get my attention.

I have found that I do not need to dim my instrument panel at all, lighting is very satisfactory with light bulbs and without the dimmer.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater
11-23-2015, 05:35 AM
Tom and Julie
I changed all my dash lights to 360 degree led's and chose blue colored led's. There is no reason to use a dimmer and unless you chose an led dimmer it won't work. I also replaced the old GM headlight function by using two of the "extra" unused relays on the Gillig Bus Panel to transfer all power from the dash headlight switch to controlling power to the headlights via the relays. There is a series of write ups on this site on how to get the high current off the dash and brighten your headlights using relays (one for low beam and another for high beam). Once done the dimmer function disappears as the led operates over a wide range of voltage, like 2 to 20 volts, and uses negligible current. The result is a pleasing color dash with no glare and better sight at night with brighter headlights. I calculated the full change from 4 watts per dash bulb and the backlit rocker switches eliminated about 100 watts of drag on the lighting system. All reading lights and ceiling lights were changed also and that eliminated over 300 watts as well. Very happy with the change and I don't worry about leaving lights on when leaving the coach in the evening for a walk or errand in MH parks.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny
11-23-2015, 10:40 AM
MWrench
Hi Tom, do you have a part number and/or source for 360 degree LED? Thanks

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater
11-24-2015, 08:38 AM
Tom and Julie
Superbrights led listed under automotive replacement for the 194 bulbs.
D Bulb - 5 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Retrofit.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny