Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bumper re-finishing
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
Since I got the bathroom remodeling done I decided to tackle the front bumper to see if I could get it shiny. First I washed it good, then started with some blue polish. Wasn't too happy with the results so I decided to clean a spot with Purple Power to see what happened. That's when I discovered there is a coating on the aluminum. I decided to strip and polish the bare aluminum then seal with a good paste wax. Started with 150, then 240, 600. and 1200. Got the raised ribs looking great but the recesses are still blotchy looking, even though they feel smooth as glass. So here's my plan; Once the raised surfaces are done I'll mask off and prime and paint the recesses with the same dark gray I'm using on the bottom side of the coach. They'll be striped but it will be subtle. BTW, I don't recommend this as an afternoon project!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
You can chrome plate aluminum if you want shiny.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Take the Coach to a detail shop have them hit it with a power buffing wheel and polishing compound, I bet it will be as shiny as Rudolph's' nose! Then you can clear coat it to keep the shine.

There are to few of us Glassnose guys around here, your Euro will be missed, I hope you can sell it to a fellow Barther.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Start with Meguiar's ultra cut, and work your way to the polish. It will take you 60 to 80 hours to get SHINEY results.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Got the front bumper done yesterday. The surface is polished to a bright shine, and the indents are painted metallic very dark grey. I'll give it a few days to harden really well then make sure everything is nice and smooth before I clearcoat it. I don't know as I'd do this on a luxury coach, but it really dressed up the old '79.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post

79 Barth Classic

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Got the front bumper done yesterday. The surface is polished to a bright shine, and the indents are painted metallic very dark grey. I'll give it a few days to harden really well then make sure everything is nice and smooth before I clearcoat it. I don't know as I'd do this on a luxury coach, but it really dressed up the old '79.

Looks very nice. Great idea to fill in the indentations with the gray.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post